Choice in Bait Runners

Scienceman

I want a medium sized baitrunner to put on a ~10ft carbon fibre, medium beach rod for my 10 yo to use. There are so many models from Shimano and Okuma its hard to know where to start. When I got my Shimano 4500 ~20 years ago it was alone in the market. It has been great off the beach and can handle the sand, salt and keep-on-keeping-on where others fall over and grind to a halt and need a full clean out.

I know you get what you pay for but what have other found is an acceptable level of quality. There are now so many models to choose it is very confusing. Fishing will be mostly for bream, whiting, tailor from the beach and breakwalls so I was thinking that a 3500 size would be about right. It must be able to handle wind-blown sand, drops on rocks and the occasional dunking that will happen.

Edited by Scienceman

I want a medium sized baitrunner to put on a ~10ft carbon fibre, medium beach rod for my 10 yo to use. There are so many models from Shimano and Okuma its hard to know where to start. When I got my Shimano 4500 ~20 years ago it was alone in the market. It has been great off the beach and can handle the sand, salt and keep-on-keeping-on where others fall over and grind to a halt and need a full clean out.

I know you get what you pay for but what have other found is an acceptable level of quality. There are now so many models to choose it is very confusing. Fishing will be mostly for bream, whiting, tailor from the beach and breakwalls so I was thinking that a 3500 size would be about right. It must be able to handle wind-blown sand, drops on rocks and the occasional dunking that will happen.

Hi mate -

I have a number of baitrunners from both shimano (B and D series) and okuma (epixor eb) and by far the most robust is the Shimano B series...tough as nails.

The B series is based on a proven design(ie, A series, your reel!) and there will be thousands of them out there still going strong.

I use 2 x Shimano 3500B on a weekly bases for Kingfish and they still operate like new with minimal maintenance... the okuma was very smooth when new but is already showing signs of corrosion on the body and gearbox starting to make some noise with little use.

The Shimano D series has great features but you need to decide if it is 50% better than the B series ( i think not). Another thing, how robust is the D series? only time will tell....

Even though okuma has life time warranty vs shimano's 10 years .. i'll got the shimano B

Good luck on your purchase.

Cheers

Trung

I recently brought my first bait runner which was the shimano thunnus 4000 ci4 and i can happily say it feels like a great reel so far. I tend to stick with my daiwa's more so for me to say shimano is great is huge :P .Havent caught anything huge to put it to the test yet but from what ive seen from the D series it surely will do well.

The shimanos are a much better and more robust reel. My first 4500A series lasted me over 14yrs before it finally packed it in and upgraded to the B series. I have had okuma eclipses and epix's they are extremely smooth on the drag compared the the shimano's hoever in the space of 5 years between myself and Greg we burnt the drags out on 4 of these reels! :1badmood:

Hence we now only use shimanos.

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg

i just bought my first baitrunner, a shimano 12000 D and it is an amazing reel, runs really smoothly and also is very aesthetically pleasing. Shimano have been around for much longer and therefore i think have much more knowledge in reels and so fourth.

i just bought my first baitrunner, a shimano 12000 D and it is an amazing reel, runs really smoothly and also is very aesthetically pleasing. Shimano have been around for much longer and therefore i think have much more knowledge in reels and so fourth.

I can second that. I recently got the 12000D and man it is a nice reel. It was smashed by a wave and completelly soaked as well as dropped in the sand and still smooth as. I always was my gear down with fresh water after fishing so that helps as well

• 3 weeks later...

Have you considered the Penn Liveliner? It's not a bad reel for the price and it's tough as nails. I have had mine for 2 years now and its still going strong. It's a full metal body and has heaps of drag. If you did want to spend more then definitely go the Shimano B series.

cant believe how good the Shimano Baitrunner 6000D is

the smoothest of my reels by a long shot - when i release the anti reverse and rig up a rod - i have to be careful not to pull too much line or the reel just spins backwards perpetuatly, releasing too much line and then i have a tangle fest - its a hassle i have the pleasure of harnessing - its that smooth

sometime the weight of the ball handle makes the handle sharft do that extra spin because gravity says the ball is heavier and cant be in a higher position - lol