Sydney Harbour 20/5

Guest Jewel

Guest Jewel

PICS TO FOLLOW !!!!

Fishrunner and I had been in contact with Rohit from King Rods last week regarding checking out some of his work, which he was more than acommodating in. While waving rods around in his workshop he has handed us a new rod that he has just rolled up and asked "what do you think?" The look on Brads face was probably very similar to that on mine and Rohit obviously saw that we were interested and suggested that we had better take it out for a test run on the weekend! Unfortunately there was no epoxy on the bindings when we were around there, no problem says Rohit Ill drop it around on Friday night......... now thats service!!!!!!

Saturday morning and the pressure is on, we want to give this thing a good workout as it is still in development and Rohit wants some feedback, so the call is made to see if there are a few late season rats hanging aroung outside the harbour. For whatever reason livies were very hard to come by in all our normal spots and as such

the call was made to toss rubber down the burley trail and see what we could come up with, as a mate has been having some success on the reddies doing this of late.

Second cast of the rod and things are looking good

post-654-1148280180_thumb.jpg

A nice 35cm reddie ......

A stream of trevally to about 45cm were recycled through the boat over the next hour or so including a lovely blue finned number. We were throwing 5 jerk baits on 1/4oz heads and the the rod performed like a dream, the trevs didnt have a hope against this beast!

We thought that a crack on some of the deeper reefs could be worth a go as there was bugger-all current (whicn is not a good thing chasing the kings). We got out to the spot found some marks on the sounder and dropped 1/2oz jigs down to the reef. The responsiveness of this rod comes into its own with these bigger jigs, it was nice with th 1/4oz but supurb with the 3/8 and 1/2oz heads, nice crisp lift and you could feel everything the jig was doing in 100' of water! There were a few half hearted takes but no hookups unfortunately.

A session of spinning the washes seemed like a good idea so in we came and gave a fair strech of the coast a good flogging for very little, a couple of trevs a rediclous amount of seargent baker (which pull ok in the bigger sizes!) Fortunately Brad spotted some squid following a lure and we managed to pick up 8 good sized ones. By this time the wind had come up and we called it a day.

Whilst kicking back with some friends and having a few medicinal ones :beersmile: last night I got a call from Brad rminding me on how many leaders I had popped on snags through the day...... well while having a beer in his backyard he had coerced his :wife: to help him measure the pull on the rod.

Now Sarah is not a big girl and she (with some effort ) was able to generate 7kg of drag of this beast, so lads like Brad and I would have no trouble popping the 6kg leaders that we were using!!!

End result after giving this rod a run is that we have both ordered one!!! as a inshore spin stick this thing will take some beating, Rohit informs us it was designed with dollies and small palegics in mind, and I think that he is well on the money with that, but I think that mine will be giving the Jews, Reds and Salmon a hard time too!!!

The rod in my opinion is an honest 6-10 kg rod that will comfortably cast 1/4oz but excells in the 1/2oz range. Saqa will have to confim this but I believe that the rod is called the "Palegic Light"

Thanks, Rohit for the trial of this beast!

Edited by Jewel

Guest Saqa

Great stuff guys. Thanks for helping out with the tests.

I am calling this model the Pelagic L. It is available in spin or baitcast. Everything about the build can be customised like always. The build that Jewel and Fishruuner tested is in spin format. The Top level in componentry build I retail for $290. This is what the guys tested. It has solid titanium guide frames. I can do it much cheaper with my standard guides and the rod built to the new concept system

post-1888-1148214307_thumb.jpg

post-1888-1148214334_thumb.jpg

Edited by Saqa

Guest fishrunner

Hi, Jewel.

As discussed I couldn't get over how this rod fished a 1/2 ounce jig head with stickbait, like fishing a 3 inch minnow on a 1/16th of a high qual graphite bream stick. :thumbup: Heaps of sensitivity.

Just a pity none of the fish encountered were able to test it to it's capabilities :074: .

Squid went down a treat though :biggrin2: We also threw the squid at a few markers on the way back through the harbour, though unfortunately were untouched :( , but I'm happy to eat em anyway!

Thanks go to Rohit for his generosity and enthusiasm at getting the rod out on the water. Service like this just doesn't exist any more :thumbup: .

My :wub::wife: , all 50 kg's of her just struggled to pull the drag of this rod in the yard,

cheers

Edited by fishrunner

Guest Jewel

Due to posting probs am going to have to do pics like this

The Trev

post-654-1148280385_thumb.jpg post-654-1148280418_thumb.jpg

Sarah trying to keep a bend in the rod!!!

post-654-1148280543_thumb.jpg

Guest Saqa

Hi all

Fishrunner brought the rod back today after the weekends positive testing. Anyone else wants to have a go? Let me know.

Guest fishrunner

Haraka

Here's a couple of pics of the squid in the tank

post-647-1148297148_thumb.jpg

post-647-1148297329_thumb.jpg

camera is an olympus mju mini with underwater housing

cheers

Guest Saqa

Rohit,

Just got referred to this thread from Mick (jewel) after reading one of my reports.

The stick looks like an absolute beast! Would enjoy giving it a test on some reds up this way. Check your PM's.

Cheers

Anthony

You are welcome to give this a workout mate