Cubing Rig

Guest IFishSick.

Guest IFishSick.

Am very new to cubing, tried once for about 30 mins (half hearted attempt) then bottom bashed at brown's.

My question is:

Do you use a weight and how much if so?

150lb or 300lb trace?

Will two octopus circles 8/0 be sufficient?

The rig depends on what tackle you are using, and how hot the bite is...

I prefer to start very light, 30lb mainline straight through, no swivel, or a length of 30lb flurocarbon joined onto it... YFT have no teeth, so as long as you are using circle hooks you will not have to worry about the trace wearing.... However, if they are hungry, or if there are big ones about then up the trace to 50 or 60lb to give a bit more reassurance and pulling power, YFT have tremendous eyesight and will spook easily if they spot a heavy trace and a giant hook...

Guest IFishSick.

Thanks for that, understand how it goes now, I thought you would let out 100m excess slowly. Will have to give it another go in a couple of weeks.

Guest IFishSick.

I want to be able to give the Mako's a go next time i'm out. Forgot the bloody baloons last week so won't forget next time. I've rigged up a two hook rig (8/0 octopus circles) with 1.5-2m wire trace 90lb, do you just sit it 20m out the back of the boat that's what i saw everyone else doing.

No how do you pop it when the fish bites, when it is 50m out from the boat.

Tie the balloon on with some light mono ie 3kg and when you get a hit the water pressure will pop the mono and you will just be fighting the fish not the balloon .

One other thing with your wire trace ,it will need to be heavier for the big sharks and at least 3 metres long if you want to be able to trace it and gaff it .

Cheers Stewy

Im going after Mako's no bigger than 2m long, just for a bit of a feed.

:Funny-Post: you will have no choice in the matter if BIG MUMMA comes along .Always hunt elephants with an elephant gun not a pea shooter :tease:

Cheers Stewy

and what do you do when BIG MUMMA wants to have a chew on your prop LOL!

Be standing on the back of BILLFISHER with a 50 stick in your hand and a whole stripie for bait :yahoo:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ MAKE HIM JUMP AT LEAST 5 METRES IN THE AIR :1yikes:

Cheers Stewy