Weipa

Marcel

We arrived on the jetty to board our houseboat. Our home for the next week load our bags,food,beer and most important thing our fishing gear and head off with our houseboat and two tenders two poly crafts with 60hp yammy four strokes out of weipa harbour and around the corner heading down the leeders see our mooring go over and tie the houseboat up right near leeder 17. There's 6 of us on board 3 older blokes and 3 young blokes so 3 on each tender the old blokes wanted to start drinking beer on the mother ship so let them go I say lets go fishing so us three jump on the poly and start heading out the channel till we get to no 6 (houseboat owner said try there) we tie up to it and I drop down a soft plastic(drop bear) hits the bottom jig jig BANG I'm on zzzzzzzzzz snap straight around the channel marker f&&$ put another drop bear on hits the bottom jig jig BANG on again I quickly yell to one of the boys CUT THE ROPE so we cut the rope and the current takes us away from the channel marker cool its even game now after a 10 minute battle of blistering runs I see colour and up comes a big black Jew just fits in the net and there's high fives and swearing everywhere we'd been in weipa for about an hour and I've caught my fish of a lifetime(how goods this place) the other boys got a few small gts and a golden snapper the gts go back but we keep the snapper and head back to the mother ship the old fellas(half pissed) say how did you go we said we got 2 and pulled the smaller golden snapper out and they said is that it and I said no and THIS and pulled the jewie out(should've seen their eyes) weighed her and she went 10kg and it fed 6 of us for two nights!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Dutch oven

Hi Guys

Love it up there been on many trips....

Go out wider past the last shipping marker on a calm day and look for birds... there will be bluefin tuna ( long tails ) everywhere out there.....Metals will get them.

Also have a go at the rail bridge I always get Queenies over 1 m long there.

enjoy your trip

Andrew

Hi Andrew I'm back home now thank god with the cyclone we also went to the last marker and got golden trevally no tuna but we got some good queenies thanks for your advice any way

Hi Andrew I'm back home now thank god with the cyclone we also went to the last marker and got golden trevally no tuna but we got some good queenies thanks for your advice any way

Posted Image

Sure is an Awsum Spot to Fish up there in Carpenteria . Those Queen fish is great Fun . you try for any muddy's ? does that big beast still sun it self on the other side of the bay ? haven't been up there in 20 year's still got some fond memories of the place.

Cheers Oziodin :fishing1:

• 2 weeks later...

As for places to fish your best bet is to ask the owner when boarding the boat.he would have heard what's biting and where in the week or weeks before you arrive and is more than happy to pass info on. As for lures we mainly used soft plastics around the shipping channel markers with the squidgee in the drop bear colour the most popular. For any surface action chrome slugs of course but my favourite slug was the gillies whitebait. For around the rivers and river mouths live poddy mullet was the best provided someone can cast the cast net(it took us a while to get it right) but if you get them you're on every cast. Hope this helps good luck and enjoy your holiday

No worries for the info,yeah Steve is a top bloke he will help you out any way he can, make sure when you are back on the house boat have a line or two out at all times because you will catch some good fish off houseboat as well and I took a mattress from downstairs and put it upstairs to sleep caus it's too hot. And if you want crab traps and a cast net double check with Steve before you get there caus you might have to pay extra. Have a great trip and good luck I'm jealous. Cheers marcel