The Entrance 10/2

jewnut

Hi raiders,

As yesterday was my last day off before i go back to jail (umm...work), i decided the best way to spend it would be fishing :thumbup: So with beautiful weather i decided ill make the hour plus journey up to the Entrance to suss things out before the social :1naughty: plus it had been ages since i visited the place.

I arrived at a lazy 10am and hiked out to the beach from the car park (caravan park) which is a solid walk through the sand to be greeted by mild winds and a virtually deserted beach, which was rare as i remember standing shoulder to shoulder with fishos when the whiting are on.

I started out casting into the mouth of the lake which was running out to the sea. First cast resulted in a damn puffer, and as i lost the next dozen baits without barely feeling a bite i decided not to waste anymore bait on the buggers.

I decided to walk north up the beach and found a nice gutter which produced zilch for half an hour, so i packed the gear and continued north in search of some fish.

About 100 metres up i found a very fishy gutter which was only a few metres wide and running hard up and parallel to the shore. After about 5 minutes i felt the familiar tap-tap-tap, and i was into my fist whiting in ages :thumbup: Boy i love catching these fish and on 4kg line they really go. He ended up going 30cm but his plumpness made up for is length :biggrin2:

Over the next 3 hours i bagged 5 fat whiting ranging from 27-30cm, released about a dozen 25-26cm fish (might be legal by our social day), two chopper tailor and a mullet which would have made an awsome jewie bait later that night :1naughty:

The beach normally produces MUCH bigger fish (35-45cm+) regularly but today the size was down. All fish were caught on live worms bought from the entrance. There are two bait shops in town that sell very good bait.

The lake area looks ideal for a spin so the options look good for all come the social :thumbup:

p.s. i do have pics but as i was alone they're more mug shots than anything else :blush:

The beach virtually deserted at 10am? ha! Sounded perfect! Thought it would be packed with surfers etc.

Whats the price on bait up there? expensive?

Cheers

-davy

There were about 6 surfers on the whole beach.

worms are $10 a bag but you get heaps in a bag

Well done, jewnut. I always catch a few salmon and tailor from the North Entrance beach. Tried Avoca in January and the tailor were running - caught 5 between 40 and 50cm. Before you headed up, in December, whiting were running near the river mouth - got 'em to 40cm.

Flattieman.

fishing's usually best in the late afternoon on the run out tide

was getting bag limits in 2 hours back in december

my dad said there hasn't been many whiting lately but the beach is fishing fairly well

he caught 2 60-70cm flatties and a 80cm jewfish mid last week