Cr From Singapore

crystalliser

G'day fellows. It's been sometime since my last CR as I've been back to Singapore for a short holiday to celebrate chinese new year with family and friends. My 1st time to fish in my home country as well since I started fishing in Sydney. With the red packets I've collected, I decided to upgrade my current lure outfit to replace my trusty surecatch set. With the many out-of-bounds fishing grounds and no bag and size limits, fishing in this small country is tough and frustrating.

Without hesitation, I met up with my local fishing buddies and they brought me to local freshwater areas. My mate decided to get me onto Snakeheads and had to use surface lures as they are known to attack it if aggravated. We just kept throwing poppers and surface cruisers to no avail, though we saw many of them surfacing and causing ripples. Then, I decided to switch to sp'ing oz style. Tie a stinky Berkley GULP 2" grub in pseed on a light 1/32oz jighead and 1st cast it got wacked! Not much of a tussle and up came my 1st ever smallish snakehead of around 27cm. They have nasty teeths and instantly ripped off the grub's tail. :1yikes:

post-283-1139889320_thumb.jpg

After snakehead hunting, we decided to proceed to another reservoir and try for Peacock Bass. This bass was an introduced specie from the a shop and they are renowned to be very aggressive fish. Continued using the GULP but no takers. Then decided to use hardbodies and to give credit to aussie lures, I used the Smilin' Jack pink minnow. Oz took the limelight again as on the 2nd cast, it got slammed by a pb. But not much of a fight and turns out to be a smallish pb of about 20cm.

post-283-1139889633_thumb.jpg

On the last days of my limited time in sg, I made another trip with another fellow mate who's also based in Sydney. He brought me to his turf for pb popping. This was the best fishing ever as I landed my best pb of approx 35cm. It made numerous jumps on my new outfit which happens to christened it as well! It was caught on a Storm Chug Bug which it completely inhales it. :1yikes: After the first commotion stirred by the 1st pb, it turns out to be easier fishing afterwards as I was told that other pbs will be lured to the scene as they are very curious fishes. True enough, I hooked onto another smaller pb on the same chug bug. Definitely a good popper to buy.

post-283-1139892422_thumb.jpg

Pb one

post-283-1139892476_thumb.jpg

Pb two

Luring Weapon: Blackhole RS2 bass rod 7ft + Daiwa Caldia Kix 1500

Enjoy this CR and it's back to Sydney fishing for me. Cheers!

Ronald

Great stuff and lucky you for getting to chase Peacocks. :thumbup:

I saw the US Bassmaster boys chasing them in Venezuela on the tele (ESPN) last year and it made for awesome viewing and alot of topwater stuff made things interesting. :1yikes:

Great stuff and well done. :thumbup:

Looks like the Singapore boys have been doing really well in the singapore front eh. Wish i had the luxury of going back. I totally miss the barra, groupers and freshwater fish avaliable. Good on you Ronald. You guys back already ?? time for us to get back to our regular shore bashes!!!

regards

Darryl

Some bright colours and a real gloss to their scales.

Are any of the fish a good table fish.

Cheers

Never heard before people eating peacocks but snakehead fish slices makes good chinese stir-fry rice noodles and porridge and are highly regarded food though they are tasteless meat. But any fish that ends up with an old uncle, they end up in their table. They never do CnR. :thumbdown: However, a fellow panama collegue told me peacocks make good fillets for the barbie.

Some bright colours and a real gloss to their scales.

Are any of the fish a good table fish.

Cheers

The colours of the fish is actually quite dependent on their habitat and diet... they're great fun on fly too... the ones I've caught are a little more colourful. I'll just post the links to pics so as not to disturb the thread.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/pasi...cock19Dec05.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/pasi...50cmPeacock.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/pasi...cock04Dec05.jpg

As for eating quality wise, they're edible, but not highly rated. They're more fun to catch really...