Flagstaff Sydney Harbour - 19/02

MrChipsnSalad

Put the tinny in the water at Little Manly. It was a bit of a family day, so there was no urgency. Arrived at Flagstaff at about 11.00am. The big yellow marker there was fairly crowded with boats. We anchored inbetween the marker and the rocks. Hung around for about 45min, with only a single very long, silver, pointy nosed and very toothy beast, of about 50cm to speak of. It was almost like a mini barracuda or something of that family. It even jumped out of the water a few times on the way in. Thought about keeping it for bait, but felt charitable, and threw it back. Then a few really big mutha cruisers arrived and dropped anchor. I decided to get out of there. Drifted in a North West direction, and anchored again about 30m West of the little point at Flagstaff. We picked up heaps of undersized bream, and one keeper flathead that was a couple of centimetres over the legal limit. I never noticed any of the boats bringing in anything. We tried all the usual suspects - prawns, pilchards and squid (all servo quality purchased on the way down). The squid was woeful, but the prawns and the pilchards seemed to do the business. Packed up about 3.00pm. I must say that loading up the boat down at Little Manly was the highlight, given all the eye-candy on the beach. A late start and finish does have some benefits, although the fish were probably not one of them.

Edited by MrChipsnSalad

Guest bluecod

....with only a single very long, silver, pointy nosed and very toothy beast, of about 50cm to speak of. It was almost like a miny barracuda or something of that family. It even jumped out of the water a few times on the way in

. .... the highlight, given all the eye-candy on the beach..

Sounds like a long tom

mmmmm - eyecandy :biggrin2:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that. I just looked up Long Toms in my Sea Fish of Australia book, and I think you got it in one. That was exactly what it was. Are they much good as a bait, live or filleted? Certainly looked like it had possibilities.

Not really, i tried one once off the rocks near Kiama, filletted , hoping to tempt a snapper or king but ALAS it ended up going to the seagulls!