Live Bait System Ideas

Big Bob

All,

Wanted to make up a live bait system that I could remove easy from the boat.

I thought that I could make one out of a fish box but have had a few issues with the outlet part.

Not wanting to drill holes in my boat I thought I could mount a pick up (PVC Elbow) with a hose into the top of a container and an overflow out.

The problem I have encountered is that as the sides of my boat are quite high I would need a very tall container to enable the overflow to work.

I thought about a smaller hose out to increase the pressure so I could mount the inlet/outlet lower but thought that this would mean more water in than out and still the same problem.

The only option I have is to mount the box up high.

If anyone has made a system that is removable and would impart some knowledge it would be most apppreciated.

Regards

:1fishing1:

Thanks Patl,

I was thinking along the same lines.

I have an aerator with suction cups that I thought I might utilise as well with a 3 way switch(off,aerator on,both on or just pump).

Do you run the pump continually or periodically to change the water?

Does the pump work ok when your travelling along or is it just on when stationary?

Hope you dont mind me picking your brains on this.

Regards

Thanks Patl,

I was thinking along the same lines.

I have an aerator with suction cups that I thought I might utilise as well with a 3 way switch(off,aerator on,both on or just pump).

Do you run the pump continually or periodically to change the water?

Does the pump work ok when your travelling along or is it just on when stationary?

Hope you dont mind me picking your brains on this.

Regards

When filling the tank with bait I run it full bore in case any spew up berley and to aerate the water as much as possible

When I am sitting still and the water has been turned over i pretty much run the pump every 15 minutes or so for 15 minutes or so, it will depend what is in there, 1/2 dozen reasonable slimys i dont turn it off when stopped, a couple of small yakkas - 15 minutes.

When running on the plane the pick up below the pump puts a heap of water in the tank so i turn the pump off

Be careful putting an aerator with a suction cup over the back of the boat and the forgetting to pick it up, when you take off, it could fly up back into the boat and hit you bloody hard.

I have seen that happen with a guy using a suction cupped transducer on a tinny that let go and left a rip snortin bruise, the trouble is he let go of the tiller when it hit him and he just about rolled the boat over at full tilt