Cottage Point (land Based)

etay

Went down to CP at 6:00 am this morning, with some makeral as bait. Caught two leagal bream, both released to grow a bit bigger. Both were caught on the outgoing tide. I've found the best time to catch fish in Cowan is on the outgoing tide, early in the morning. Interestingly, when I reeled in the first bream I saw quite a large squid come up to investigate. There were quite a few nice bream around, but the bait never lasted long, as there were HEAPS of little buggers around. Flicked a few storm yabbie SP's around, got some hits, but the LJ's would bite off the nipper, rendering this partical SP useless (not happy at $1 a pop!). These are a great lure btw, there was a lot of interst from the bream in them. btw, when using SP's, should I strike as soon as you feel the bite or let the fish take it a little before striking. I could see that I was pulling it from the fishs mouth without hooking up...

Anyway, the most exciting part of the morning was while I was feeding my berley trail. I was having a bit of fun with the little fish, caught one and while it was struggling on the end of the line, this massive kingie came along to check out what the commotion was about. I don't think it was feeding as there were swarms of little yakkas around and it didn't seem to chase them. It just seemed to be curious with my fish. After about 30 seconds, he left, didn't see him again. It was a thrill through, he was right up to the rock platform! Now I understand why some people say you need to 'tempt' and 'tease' kingies to take a bait/lure at various times. The next time I fish cowan, I'll be bringing some heavier gear! I also think that the best 'berley' for a king is commotion.

I have caught dozens of fish on SP's and they all tend to hook themselves as long as you continue retrieving the thing. I dont really jag the line at all. Hope that helps and not sure if it is the professional way, it is simply what i do and it works.