Whats The Best Line

caine

just got a new reel, need some 20-30lb line for it. I have exclusivly used spiderwire and fireline braid for the last couple of years. but im thinking i might try some mono ...as braid is not that good when you loose big jewies raped around pilons.

i find braid is not good off the rocks as any sort of friction destroys it, especialy when you have a big fish on.

can any one tell me , is spider line mono good. i have used the really heavy stuff before and not had a problem.

but what is the 20lb like and how does it cast???????can anyone tell me what diameter it is, all the box says is, its 8lb diameter. is there a standard for that sort of thing cause every brand has is different!!!!! :mad3::(

what other mono lines are good????

or does someone want to just tell me to shutup spend the extra $10 and press on with the braid.... i just dont want to loose any more big fish around pilons, my heart is breaking

cheers

I've got 20lb Maxima Chameleon on an overhead of mine and it's just great. I use if for trolling so not sure how it casts but it holds a double (using a spider hitch) very well and I'm very happy with it.

The manufacturer states (from the Maxima USA website):

...this line has the toughest finish of all line brands on the market. It is ideal for casting and flipping around rocks, brush and other snags. The incredible abrasion resistance also makes Chameleon the best choice for fishing rock-strewn rivers for salmon, steelhead, walleye and the like. Chameleon works perfectly on baitcasting and conventional reels.

I don't know about any of that stuff (I took it with a grain of salt) but if it's true it might suit your needs.

Hope that helps

Cheers

David.

P.s. I'm a big fan of Spiderwire Stealth but found it lost it's colour pretty quickly. Still, it casts like a dream and holds knots very well. I found it isn't a stiff as fireline when new and is less prone to cast knots.

Are you spinning lures, or bottom bashing....

For spinning, platypus pink and daiwa crystal line. Bottom bashing , schneider is what I use..

You can still use braid, but have it as backing, then topshot with 100m of mono. Then you can cut mono back whenever you snag up and it wont cost you a packet. Plus, the mono provides the abrasion resistance within that range against rocks etc. If you hook something that goes for a big run, you will have the braid as backing and have plenty of line in reserve.

just got a new reel, need some 20-30lb line for it. I have exclusivly used spiderwire and fireline braid for the last couple of years. but im thinking i might try some mono ...as braid is not that good when you loose big jewies raped around pilons.

i find braid is not good off the rocks as any sort of friction destroys it, especialy when you have a big fish on.

can any one tell me , is spider line mono good. i have used the really heavy stuff before and not had a problem.

but what is the 20lb like and how does it cast???????can anyone tell me what diameter it is, all the box says is, its 8lb diameter. is there a standard for that sort of thing cause every brand has is different!!!!! :mad3::(

what other mono lines are good????

or does someone want to just tell me to shutup spend the extra $10 and press on with the braid.... i just dont want to loose any more big fish around pilons, my heart is breaking

cheers

Hi stay with mono just use the cheap stuff and strip off a couple of feet each time you fish can't use that rope :thumbdown:

• 2 weeks later...

Just respooled with 6KG Schneider , followed the advice given to me in here , and tried a couple of test casts out the front , I cannot believe the difference between the old line I was using ( Generic *****) and this new stuff. No bunches of grapes , and its smooooth !! Cant wait to try it in the water !!

Ross