Sea-runner

Hi all,

I headed out this evening for a very quick spur-of-the-moment sesh near home as the sun went down. This spot is actually closed for the taking of salmonids atm but you may still fish (for indigenous species (not that there are any???)) if all salmonids are released. Its normally a pretty hot or cold spot but today not really either. I managed one fat little sea-run brown who followed to my feet before hooking up (after missing the hooks on the first hit). Apologies for the pic, phone job.

Cheers

col.

Cheers for the photos! thats some funky design on those things. What else have you caught on those things?

Quite a few species actually.

salt:

Bluefin trevally

big eye trevally

giant trevally

silver trevally

bream (yellowfin only so far)

tailor

flathead (sand and dusky)

leatherjackets

2 species of wrasse

sweetlip

moses perch

spanish flag

aust salmon

coral trout

estuary cod

toadfish

whiting

sweep

barracouta

snook

jack pike

squid

sea-run brown trout

mados.

fresh:

brown trout

rainbow trout

atlantic salmon

redfin

brook trout.

I may have left a few out though.

Cheers

Col.

:clapping: that's a bloody impressive long list of species! i'll take it that u're just using standard retrieves for the spoons? i like the colours! :drool:

I've used these spoons a fair bit over the last two years so am bound to pick up a few diff species over time.

All sorts of retrieves work, steady, stop/start, skip on surface, lift and drop, vertical jigging, hi speed or dead slow depending on species and environment. As far as colours go I'm a big fan of plain gold in fresh or plain silver in salt but am not a big believer in lure colours generally. I figure placement, size and then action are the most important attributes of any lure (though some are better than others).

Cheers

col.

Are there many sea-runners in Tasmania? Do these exhibit different characteristics to trouts in landlocked inpoundments or rivers? Are the ever caught out to sea?

There are quite a few sea-runners in Tas., especially in the derwent and huon river estuaries and in many of the west coast estuaries and around "the channel" though they occur to some degree in most estuaries. Some go out to sea while others are resident in the estuaries. True sea-runners tend to be very silvery with smaller scales than freshwater trout (hard to distinguish from atlantic salmon that have escaped from farms), whilst the residents (freshwater fish that have recently moved downstream or upper estuary fish) tend to look more like freshwater brownies (there aren't any sea-running rainbows). Regardless, in saltwater trout grow faster that in fresh (diet and hormonal effects). Although sea-run trout do move out to the deep sea, they are rarely if ever caught there in Tas. and are mainly caught in estuaries either when they come in at the start of their spawn run or when they chase the migrating whitebait as they have their spawn run. At other times they are a more incidental catch though in certain places they are common year round especially estuary resident fish. Locally to me (Launceston) the north and south esk rivers (Launceston is on the junction of these two rivers where they combine to form the (salt) Tamar river) have some sea-runners and the "tail-race" outlet of the trevallyn power station also produces quite alot with others turning up further downstream in the Tamar.

Cheers

Col.

This pretty little fish (one of my fav. photos) is a more typical freshwater fish (very small stream), I' am yet to see a saltwater trout with bright red spots on it.

33small_152.jpg

And a lake fish no red spots in this case but a fairly red adipose fin.

colin-4-springs_140.jpg

"True" sea-runner:

searun36.jpg

In contrast this is a typical "resident" estuary fish from the saltwater tidal section of the little forrester river where it was feedind amongst a school of australian salmon. You can see it appears quite different to the silvery fish above that is more likely a "true" sea-runner and has less spots than the salwater fish.

post-1831-1149679631_thumb.jpg

Edited by wrasseman