Tropical Fish Trade Threatens To Devastate Reefs

Flattieman

"Tropical Fish Trade Threatens to Devastate Reefs" - Guardian Newspapers, 8/5/2006

Leading marine biologists have called for a crackdown on the trade in tropical fish, which is threatening to destroy the world's already endangered coral reefs.

Writing in the journal Science last week, the scientists said that the plunder of reef fish is having a devastating impact on coral reserves.

Major culprits include luxury seafood restaurants that buy giant fish such as the Napoleon wrasse, which can grow to two metres in length, to display in window tanks. Apart from endangering these species, which are slow to breed and therefore slow to recover from overfishing, the effect on coral reefs is highly damaging, the scientists say.

Without predators like the Napoleon wrasse, coral-eating species of starfish like the crown-of-thorns are thriving. In addition, fishermen are damaging the reefs in their attempts to catch these rare creatures. 'These roving bandits deplete coral reef stocks,' said zoologist Helen Scales from Cambridge University.

The 'Status of the Coral Reefs of the World' report claims 20 per cent of reefs have been effectively destroyed by fishing and global warming.

In addition to the dangers posed by fishing, reefs are also being destroyed by ocean acidification. As more and more carbon dioxide is pumped into the atmosphere, increased amounts are dissolved in sea water, making it more acidic. This effect is enhanced by the warming of the oceans, another product of climate change.

Edited by Flattieman

"Tropical Fish Trade Threatens to Devastate Reefs" - Guardian Newspapers, 8/5/2006

Leading marine biologists have called for a crackdown on the trade in tropical fish, which is threatening to destroy the world's already endangered coral reefs.

Writing in the journal Science last week, the scientists said that the plunder of reef fish is having a devastating impact on coral reserves.

Major culprits include luxury seafood restaurants that buy giant fish such as the Napoleon wrasse, which can grow to two metres in length, to display in window tanks. Apart from endangering these species, which are slow to breed and therefore slow to recover from overfishing, the effect on coral reefs is highly damaging, the scientists say.

Without predators like the Napoleon wrasse, coral-eating species of starfish like the crown-of-thorns are thriving. In addition, fishermen are damaging the reefs in their attempts to catch these rare creatures. 'These roving bandits deplete coral reef stocks,' said zoologist Helen Scales from Cambridge University.

The 'Status of the Coral Reefs of the World' report claims 20 per cent of reefs have been effectively destroyed by fishing and global warming.

In addition to the dangers posed by fishing, reefs are also being destroyed by ocean acidification. As more and more carbon dioxide is pumped into the atmosphere, increased amounts are dissolved in sea water, making it more acidic. This effect is enhanced by the warming of the oceans, another product of climate change.

It never ceases to amaze me how fragile this planet is. People still seem to think it's alright

to do some of the most stupid things to the earth's natural resources.

There is a finite amount of destructive behaviour before we find ourselves in peril with things

we may never see again, or for that matter, our children's children will never have.

I'm no greenie or tree hugger, but it boils my blood to see some of the destruction that's happened, just in the last decade or so.

If we don't save it now..it's gone forever.

Pete.

It never ceases to amaze me how fragile this planet is. People still seem to think it's alright

to do some of the most stupid things to the earth's natural resources.

There is a finite amount of destructive behaviour before we find ourselves in peril with things

we may never see again, or for that matter, our children's children will never have.

I'm no greenie or tree hugger, but it boils my blood to see some of the destruction that's happened, just in the last decade or so.

If we don't save it now..it's gone forever.

Pete.

Yeah, Pete. I know a frustrated Marine Biologist who works on one of the Whitsunday islands - he can't believe that there's no action plan if, say, large-scale coral bleaching occurs up there. I can't understand how the authorities can allow something like the above to happen in the US. My Marine Biologist friend would be irate!

Flattieman.