Queensland Election

With a Qld state election now imminent I thought I would pass on to all of you the responses I have received from the relevant state ministers in regard to my letter of concern regarding marine park issues.

Firstly, Tim Mulherin, Labor Minister for Primary Industries & Fisheries, replied with a letter which included the following statements:

“. . . I would like to assure you that the Queensland Government certainly recognises the importance of recreational fishing to the many thousands of Queenslanders and visitors who enjoy our marine and freshwater fisheries each year . . . The challenging objective (?) is achieved primarily through applying the framework of ecologically sustainable development (ESD) and precautionary principle.

ESD promotes the use, conservation and enhancement of our fisheries resources and habitats in such a way that the ecological processes upon which they depend are maintained, and improved in the future.

The precautionary principle means that where there is a threat of serious or irreversible environmental damage, lack of scientific certainty may not be used as a reason to postpone intervention. . .

That last paragraph is the killer. My interpretation is that the Beattie Government believe they can nominate areas for protection just because there is the merest suggestion of a threat without having any scientific support for this argument. So, for example, if some environmental or anti-fishing group were to say, without any scientific evidence, that they thought an area or species was threatened then a Labor government may decide to make this a fishing exclusion zone using their “precautionary principle”.

This is in stark contrast to the Government’s position on the Gold Coast cruise ship terminal. All of the research suggests that there is at the very least a possibility of a threat to the ecology of the terminal area. You would expect then that the Government would cancel their plans for the terminal by adopting their “precautionary principle”. However this is not the case. The precautionary principle only seems to apply when it suits.

The response I have received from the opposition is more encouraging, although one would expect that from a party trying to get into power. I quote the following from the Shadow Minister for Primary Industries & Fisheries, Mike Horan.

“The coalition believes very strongly in the rights to fish for recreational fishers. Like you, we do understand the need to conserve fishing.

This can be done by using actual science and working closely with recreational fishing groups which have the experience and local knowledge to advise on other systems, such as bag limits, fish size and short term closures during breeding times.

The coalition has a very strong view on recreational fishing for family, social and economic reasons and that will be the thrust of our policy.”

Mike Horan also raised the following Question without Notice in parliament on 28th March following is his question & reply by Desley Boyle, Minister for Environment:

Mr Horan: “My question without notice is to the honourable minister for the environment. I refer to the review of the Moreton Bay Marine Park and a push by the Greens to lock out recreational anglers from up to 50% of the bay. With the review due to be finalised just after the state election, is the grubby preference deal between the Greens and Labor for the Gaven by-election based on the Beattie Labor government delivering on Moreton Bay lock-out zones ?”

Ms Boyle: “There is no such deal. The question should not be dignified by further answer.”

From my viewpoint the Labor Governement are offering no guarantees to recreational anglers that they will not expand existing marine exclusion areas or add new exclusion areas regardless of whether there is sound scientific support for such a decision.

I think most anglers share the opinion that they would not object to exclusion zones if it was proven that they would have a significant benefit to fish species or habitats but they don’t want to be kicked out of their favourite fishing spots just because some group, extreme green or otherwise, have some anti-fishing agenda. If Labor agree to the demands of theses groups just to gain preferences at election time it smells even worse.

Hope this is of interest.

Les

I am a member of $%^&* and have no affiliation with any political party in any way.

Guest madsmc

I think most anglers share the opinion that they would not object to exclusion zones if it was proven that they would have a significant benefit to fish species or habitats but they don’t want to be kicked out of their favourite fishing spots just because some group, extreme green or otherwise, have some anti-fishing agenda. If Labor agree to the demands of theses groups just to gain preferences at election time it smells even worse.

G'day Les. Mate, I think most anglers deep down feel the same way. I certainly wouldn't complain about an area being shut down if there was concrete scientific evidence, from a reputable research body, showing that an area was in dire need of protection.

What I won't tolerate is a group of extremists using backdoor tactics to lock us out for no reason at all. The only problem is getting anglers to see that that is actually what is happening, and that we need to band together and do something about it now, because once the Greens get a foothold with the initial parks then we have a much harder task of protecting our rights to fish.

Hope this is of interest.

It certainly is interesting information for us all Les. Thanks for taking the time to let us know how things are going up there. I've got a bad feeling we will be facing similar problems here in NSW.

Shane

Thanks Shane, appreciate your support.

It doesn't look good up here because Beattie looks like p1ssing it in again. Maybe it is better that way coz he won't rely on preferences so much & is less likely to make preferecne deals ?????

Hopefully plenty of concerned fishos have made their opinions clear to their local members & the gov't & further BS restrictions will be avoided - not to mention the Spit cruise ship terminal.

Intersting how in Qld its the exact same story when it comes to the Libs position on the parks. Id like to know whether its the position that the 'opposition' holds or whether its the Liberals postion overall regardless.

I think you in a slightly better posi Les in a sense that Beattie doesnt seem to need the Greens as much as our Premier does.

That last sentance in the libs quote is a bit of a worry though.

Goes to show that things are not always decided on facts and figures and whether we like it or not 'emotive rhetoric' has a huge impact and what the Greens use to absolute perfection. We are fighting the Greens with facts and figures, they are using fairy tails. They seem to be winning though - go figure.

Thanks for the info Les

• 2 weeks later...

I know most of you guys are in NSW but if there are any Brissy fishos out there then listen up :biggrin2:

Shane Boese of The Fishing Party is running in the Cleveland electorate. Unfortunately the government calling a snap election and the delay in registration (deliberate ? never!) of The Fishing Party for state elections has meant that he has to run as an independant although he is promoting the TFP platform.

Anyone registered in Cleveland please put in a vote for Shane if you don't want to lose 50% of Moreton Bay to unjustified marine parks. Put whoever you like as second preference. This vote is not anti coalition or labor but a way of showing all pollies the magnitude of the fisho vote.

Shane will not get elected and ultimately whoever you mark as second choice will get your vote. BUT if Shane polls well, and particularly if he polls ahead of the Greens candidate then it puts fishos on the map as a more important minority group electorally than the Greens. The major parties will then be lining up to find out what they need to do to get the fishing vote in future.

If you have the time to help out on election day even better. People are required for handing out how to vote cards & for scrutineering. If you can assist please call Shane at Water Tower Bait & Tackle 07 3396 1833.

Thanks, you won't reget it.

Les