Different Style Alvey Reels For The Beach

martymonsta

Hi there everyone,

Am hoping someone can help me decide on the correct Alvey reel I should get for trying my hand at beach fishing for the likes of Salmon, tailor and (hopefully) jewies off the beaches around Sydney and the north coast of NSW.

I'm thinking of getting one of the 650 size Alveys mated to a 12 foot 7 wrap rod (haven't decided on either a Wilson or Snyder but budget would be around $150 - $200 for the rod) and have seen both the lever drag models (650BC and 6500BCV) and the star drag 650BE1 Rock Hopper special.

As I'm not a fan of the palm-drag method, can anyone please advise of any advantages/disadvantages of both reel styles.

I will be fishing with 20-25lb mono and would like to try the occasional rock fishing session as well.

Ease of maintenance and durability are the features I am after with the Alvey reels.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Marty

the e series can be used with the drag or without. Fish the reel with the drag on the beach for jews and sharks if you wish and use it without on the rocks, with the handles fixed to the spool you can winch fish up to high ledges etc... I reckon they're pretty good, I'm thinking about getting one but I still love palming the spool on my old 650a.

Guest danielinbyron

I've had a few probs with the lever 650c models ? I always pick them up second hand in pretty good nick then punish them.. and by that i mean dunk them chip them land on em when i've slipped, bash them back straight etc..

The problem is winding with no movement..or the drag disengaging .. but to be honest its probably been due to poor maintenance..this sounds adressed by the model mentioned in the post above..They always appear in second hand shops and garage sales from $40 - $80.. I prefer the older ones ....and I've landed my biggest fish on one without the lever drag ,Surfmaster 650A just palming and using the star. Replacement washers and parts are v cheap and easy so if the spools in good knick a second hand one is always an option.

I've had both wilson seven wraps and schneider..the schneiders feel lighter "maybe a little too light" but this is decieving as they load up like Phar Lap..

I have some great rods killwell custom wrapped blanks wilsons,live fibres.., ugly sticks..

But mate i love the schneider .. and EVERONE thats fished with me that i let use it , now owns one...The opaque orangee brown type ol school ... There is a rumour they may be ceasing to make these i hope its untrue..

mt7144 one piece low mount schneider....they seem to retail for about $140... If you can buy one with the raised first guide as apposed to the big steel ring..

Edited by danielinbyron

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback - Googling only goes so far....

This is a great website for helping others out with their queries. Thanks.

Jeez, the Schneider (is this the same as SnyderGlas?) sound mighty tempting..... :thumbup:

Cheers

Marty

I've got an alvey 650c which I've had for about 20 years, It's got the star drag but you can also apply the hand drag method if you like, which is very handy if you hook that very strong fish, I've replaced some parts once in it's life and it has been the best reel I've ever owned, match it with a 14" alvey rod and you have got a serious piece of of beach and rock big fish fighting reliable gear, believe me you will wear out before this does.

Guest danielinbyron

"Jeez, the Schneider (is this the same as SnyderGlas?) sound mighty tempting..... "

yeah ... lol ....i just gave it that name :1prop:

was gonna call it dorothy..

I need to put some more ram in my skull..

Edited by danielinbyron

A C type model is hard to beat for beach fishing. You don't really need the direct wind of the E type for winching when fishing the beach. With the fixed handles of the E type you have the risk of a nasty rap on the knuckles when a big fish runs. A have the lever drag model and I am very happy with it.

I've got an alvey 650c which I've had for about 20 years, It's got the star drag but you can also apply the hand drag method if you like, which is very handy if you hook that very strong fish, I've replaced some parts once in it's life and it has been the best reel I've ever owned, match it with a 14" alvey rod and you have got a serious piece of of beach and rock big fish fighting reliable gear, believe me you will wear out before this does.

I'd have thought that you'd want something a bit longer than 14"!!!!!