Port Hacking 12/11

Davemmm

Went out just before dawn in the Hacking.

Spent the first couple of hours yo-yoing for flatties up and down in the channels.

Five flathead before 7.00am but all of them between 25cm and 30cm. Plenty of the little buggers out there obviously but none of their bigger mates.

As usual with one of my outings I did something stupid and this time I went out with the keys to :wife: car in my pocket. Quick trip home and back in the water by 7.30.

On my retrun I headed for Lilli Pilli Baths, thanks to a bit of a nudge from coollamon last night. Anchored burleyed etc etc. After an hour I had two gurnards (which coollamon told me where there) but little else that I could bag.

Fed up with an abundance of under size red bream I went on the drift through the sand and weed straight off Lilli Pilli. Two reasonable bream on nippers and then dropped an absolute pearler of a whiting right at the boat. This was followed by a great bream run taking me around a channel pile and busting me off. :mad3:

I then landed a fish that I am unsure of. It was roughly the shape of a whiting with blue spots over it and its eyes pretty much on top, its head was a different shape to a whitting more like a monk fish (sort of). It had a mouth that opened wide and was full of small sharp teeth.

After that I went over to the bit where it drops away to the west of the mainbar flat for three flathead and a whiting, one flattie 50cm one 43cm the other smaller.

Unfortunately i didnt have the cannon and the phone camera shots were washed out for all except the early gurnard.

Anyone know what the mystery fish was?

Went out just before dawn in the Hacking.

Spent the first couple of hours yo-yoing for flatties up and down in the channels.

Five flathead before 7.00am but all of them between 25cm and 30cm. Plenty of the little buggers out there obviously but none of their bigger mates.

As usual with one of my outings I did something stupid and this time I went out with the keys to :wife: car in my pocket. Quick trip home and back in the water by 7.30.

On my retrun I headed for Lilli Pilli Baths, thanks to a bit of a nudge from coollamon last night. Anchored burleyed etc etc. After an hour I had two gurnards (which coollamon told me where there) but little else that I could bag.

Fed up with an abundance of under size red bream I went on the drift through the sand and weed straight off Lilli Pilli. Two reasonable bream on nippers and then dropped an absolute pearler of a whiting right at the boat. This was followed by a great bream run taking me around a channel pile and busting me off. :mad3:

I then landed a fish that I am unsure of. It was roughly the shape of a whiting with blue spots over it and its eyes pretty much on top, its head was a different shape to a whitting more like a monk fish (sort of). It had a mouth that opened wide and was full of small sharp teeth.

After that I went over to the bit where it drops away to the west of the mainbar flat for three flathead and a whiting, one flattie 50cm one 43cm the other smaller.

Unfortunately i didnt have the cannon and the phone camera shots were washed out for all except the early gurnard.

Anyone know what the mystery fish was?

Nice report Dave.

Pity those hefty models didn't stick.

That mystery fish wasn't another Grinner was it.

See PaulB's post earlier.

Cheers,

Pete

Edited by MallacootaPete