Saturday On Sydney Harbour

OneLastCast

Hi Raiders,

Went out on Sat with my brother, his wife, and my two young boys.

An early start saw us jig up two good sized squid by 7 am.

We tried for yakkas but couldn't find any at our usual spots.

We went in search of some sambos at north head followed by a hunt for kingies on the squid.

The sambos were there but after a few minutes of rocking and rolling first seasick victim poor sis in law.

Dropped her off at nice sheltered quaranteen (spelling?) beach while we headed back out.

We gave a very poor showing with the sambos - over about 2 hours we managed about 10 hook ups to only one boated :( We busted off on a few on 6lb tackle and I think lost a rat king that rubbed me off on the bottom.

About an hour into the action my bro gets sick but he soldiers on.

The funniest sight of the day was a tight school of salmon on the surface with about 15 boats surrounding hemming them in. Was like this for about 5 mins until the shadow of an aeroplane scared them all. Was like the water was exploding with all the tails flicking at once :1yikes:

We went in search of kings in the calmer waters of the harbour - fishing squid at the markers - tried new yellow in the north to the sticks in the south and a number in between. No takers. Not even many pickers.

That meant that we had plenty of calamari to go with salmon fillets. Not a bad dinner at all.

Cheers,

OLC.

A pic of my brother with his salmon and son #2 with one of the squid

post-739-1163416185_thumb.jpg

Thanks for replies fellas.

Martin - heres hoping for better luck (or skill :074: ) next time, but I wont be freezing any sambos thats for sure. OK when eaten fresh but mush if frozen!

Is kingfish OK to eat after frozen? Or is it like most pelagics, best when fresh?

Thanks for replies fellas.

Martin - heres hoping for better luck (or skill :074: ) next time, but I wont be freezing any sambos thats for sure. OK when eaten fresh but mush if frozen!

Is kingfish OK to eat after frozen? Or is it like most pelagics, best when fresh?

i forgot about a large fillet of kingy in the freezer and came across it two months after catching it, i took the the risk and it cooked up a treat and it still tasted brilliant!!