Decent Light Outfit For Dollies

Fisherman5

Hey Raiders,

This up coming dolphin fish season i'm looking at chasing these criters with as light as gear possible. Looking at a decent combo which will not blow the budget at around $200 that will let me have as much fun possible on the dollies and if a bigger model turns up, would be in with a chance.

Many thanx guyz,

Mitch

:biggrin2:

Hi Mate,

from my own personal experience, a nice 3-5kg rod and a 2500size spin reel with 8ld braid is the lightest you will want to go... I think the nicest combo is a 4-7kg or 5-8kg graphite rod in a length between 6'8" and 7'6" snapper style, with a 4000 size spin reel and some 14lb fireline, great fun and plenty of grunt!

we have experimented with 4 and 6lb but it is too light to put hurt on a larger dollie and wastes too much time...

speak to tony at fishfinder bait and tackle, he will be able to put together a nice combo that will give you change from $200

i too am interested in the advice given here.

Having never chased - caught dollies before - i plan to do so this summer.

I recently purchased a Daiwa Certate 2500 R Fuego and a St. Croix Legend Tournament Walleye Spinning Rod - 7' with 4-10lb rating, i will be spooling it with DYNEEMA 20lb braid.

Im a bit worried that the rod will be too light.

What setup do you guys use for dollies?

Thanks for any advice

i too am interested in the advice given here.

Having never chased - caught dollies before - i plan to do so this summer.

I recently purchased a Daiwa Certate 2500 R Fuego and a St. Croix Legend Tournament Walleye Spinning Rod - 7' with 4-10lb rating, i will be spooling it with DYNEEMA 20lb braid.

Im a bit worried that the rod will be too light.

What setup do you guys use for dollies?

Thanks for any advice

Aron,

the certates are tough as nails reels and will have no trouble smashing some dollies, they fight very similar to aussie salmon with all the jumping etc, they tire themselves out eventually..

i really doubt the need for you to run 20lb dyneema braid, 10 or 15 pound is wayyy tough enough, i use 15lb PE dyneema braid for kings on a 4000 shimano symetre and strudwick 8-14lb bluewater spin rod or a shimano snapper raider, and the same outfit skull drags the dollies barely taking a click of drag

the best fun is my shimano rack raider 3-5kg with a symetre 2500 and 10lb dyneema

Guest Big-Banana

Just be careful you don't go too light. Id start at 10kg and work down. There are larger ones deeper down and a light outfit like that would only be suitable for throwing lures and fishing pillies. I know I wouldn't be using a livey on 6lb gear. After losing one which is more common on lighter gear the rest of the school go off the bite.