Jigging Reel: High Or Low Speed?

Kit

Hey guys, I actually posted this on another forum as well, but keen to get your opinions on it.

I'm considering getting a new jigging outfit. But unsure on the reel.

I'm looking at the Daiwa Saltist 30T and 30TH.

Now I intend to use this outfit for jigging in about 100m of water. But it may end up being used perhaps for some bait fishing or bottom bouncing.

I've heard arguments to support both sides, but what are you guy's opinion on the high or low speed ratio?

im in the exact same possition as you

i decided on the TH ..... really it doesn't matter but jigging apparently a lower gear ratio is better (apparently) as you dont loose your rytheme as easerly

only reason i went TH is cause i figure i may aswell have the high speed than not have it

i think it all comes down to what you like the most

Cheers,

Fletcher

I brought one today - but i went for the 40H - little bit bigger at the same price.

Was looking at the Shimano Trinidad 40N Narrow Jig but with $300+ difference decided on the Daiwa and put the rest on a better rod & line.

I disagree with Fletcher regarding gear ratio - the idea with jigging is to get the jig up quick - and just imagine how tied you will get with slow gears.

The high speed overheads in the trinidad & saltist range were designed with jigging in mind, also a good jew real with the baitrunner free spool feature.

go the high speed

Guest danielinbyron

I think the argument against high speed is that they aren't as strong..More pressure on a smaller gear, I don't know how relevant that is these days .

Just purchased myself a Shimano Stella 20000 and a Shimano Jigwrex from Tony at Fishfinder today. :yahoo::yahoo:

I went out fishing with a mate last week and he had just bought one of these outfits, they are absolutley awesome.

By the way Tony, thanks for your help and the top deal! :thumbup::thumbup: Greatly appreciated

maybe i shouldn't belive everything i read :074:

what rod did you put yours on ? still trying to figure out what im going to match it up with (im tinking either a t curve or jigwrex at the moment)

sorry for hijacking the post :ph34r:

I really liked the look of the new rapala jigging sticks - the foregrip is so comfortable - but being an untested product

I ended up getting a 5'5" jigwrex with 200gram rating

spool the reel with 60lb daiwa multicolour braid - softest braid ive seen.

Just finished tying my first ever bimmini twist (wasnt that hard) im now ready to hit some reefs :thumbup:

Just purchased myself a Shimano Stella 20000 and a Shimano Jigwrex from Tony at Fishfinder today. :yahoo::yahoo:

I went out fishing with a mate last week and he had just bought one of these outfits, they are absolutley awesome.

By the way Tony, thanks for your help and the top deal! :thumbup::thumbup: Greatly appreciated

awesome combo - thats one expensive reel - thought of going that way but would have needed a bank loan :074:

In the old days high speed meant fragility. I still remember those old seascapes and their pinion gear!!! Reels like the stella, saltiga, torsa all come with relatively high speed gears and they don't break! But how fast is fast? You still want those kingies to be able to eat your jig and the stop start retrieves for jigging means that the rod does most of the work anyway and the reel is there to basically take up the slack line.

Unlike high speed spinning which I used to be an addict in my youth, jigging is more rod than reel. In the old days of high speed spinning, we would literally wear the handles out of the reels once every season.Used a penn 850 spinfisher and that was geared LOW. Still caught lots. Cheers Kelvin

Fletcher i was looking at this exact reel only days ago

and might be in the market after christmas.

Also might be looking if i purchase one to upgrade the Drags to the carbontex

I will probbaly get a slow speed.

i sent you a PM

Hi speed or low speed doesn't matter. What matters is how much line is wound. If you have a big spool you will have high speed even with low gear ratios. I just had a nightmare jigging trip where we caught no fish after 7-8 hours of constant winding. The guys with the 6:1 or higher ratios were down and out after a few drops. My stella 20000 with its 4.4:1 ratio still had me pumping and winding at the end of the day. Cheers Kelvin