Pflueger Sea King

mrmoshe

I was given a Pflueger Sea King Model 2288M reel by my late Father In Law quite a few years back

and have never taken it out of the box.

It's has the old star drag (pretty old technology).

Does anyone know how good these reels were?

I was thinking of giving it a run one of these days.

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

• 2 weeks later...

I was given a Pflueger Sea King Model 2288M reel by my late Father In Law quite a few years back

and have never taken it out of the box.

It's has the old star drag (pretty old technology).

Does anyone know how good these reels were?

I was thinking of giving it a run one of these days.

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Pete.

Pete,

I have one too and have only recently stopped using it on a regular basis, replacing it with a Penn 545. It was given to me for my 16th birthday and I am now 59. They were a pretty good reel in their day and were made in the USA. Mine saw a lot of use throwing baits off the beach and rocks. It has an anti backlash device which works quite well, although it does knock back the length of your cast a bit until you can develop an educated thumb on the spool. The drag on mine still works pretty well, although that might say more about the size of the fish that I catch than the quality of the reel!

Edited by MallacootaPete

Pete,

I have one too and have only recently stopped using it on a regular basis, replacing it with a Penn 545. It was given to me for my 16th birthday and I am now 59. They were a pretty good reel in their day and were made in the USA. Mine saw a lot of use throwing baits off the beach and rocks. It has an anti backlash device which works quite well, although it does knock back the length of your cast a bit until you can develop an educated thumb on the spool. The drag on mine still works pretty well, although that might say more about the size of the fish that I catch than the quality of the reel!

Thanks for that info Cameron.

The reel sure looks the goods..very solid and well made.

I looked at that backlash device and wondered how it worked. The old thumb might be

a better bet though I think.

I must get it down to the beach one day to give it a run.

Thanks again for filling me in on the old Pflueger.

Cheers,

Pete.

Thanks for that info Cameron.

The reel sure looks the goods..very solid and well made.

I looked at that backlash device and wondered how it worked. The old thumb might be

a better bet though I think.

I must get it down to the beach one day to give it a run.

Thanks again for filling me in on the old Pflueger.

Cheers,

Pete.

Pete,

The anti backlash device screws in and out, so just tighten it up until the lead and bait falls slowly to the ground when you are holding the rod in front of you. Start casting from that point and back off the screw as you start to get the hang of it. I ran 18lb mono on mine

Cam