How Good Are They?

Luringbream

Hey, Just wondering how good sounders really are. Do they have the ability to pick up squid and massive schools of tiny whiting sitting on the bottom, what about jewies at night sitting at the edge of a drop off or leatherjackets in 80m of water??

Does yours?

I know my old Humminbird 250 dx couldnt do any of the sort..

This will be very interesting to get some feedback on..

DAN

Picking up Jewies is not really hard for most sounders as they have a good return signal. Must have a decent air bladder.

As for kingies, my sounder picks them up all the time. For leatheries in 80m of water you need a powerful transducer in 1Kw+ range. I know that the new Furuno digital sounders can pick these leatheries up. Sometimes you can pick the different species from these newer digital units. A lot of the marlin guys use them .

As for squid, you normally can't pick them up as the areas we squid are in shallow water. The sounder "Cone"can't reach them and also when in shallow water <3meters the return signals may flood your screens with a lot of clutter. cheers Kelvin

Guest IFishSick.

Yeah it's a no go on picking out the squid. As for picking up leatheries, I can't get away from the bastard's throughout the Winter. They just pinch all of your Kingie and Flattie bait and rack off leaving you with a bare hook.

And if you look through some of the latest fishing magazines I've seen some souners that show a 3D picture of the bottom. Showing full ship and car wrecks in detail. What amazing technology!!! :1yikes:

I just installed an Eagle Seacharter 500. Duel beam due frequency gps and sounder comb. Fished in 10M of water yesterday with the kids. They were cathching jew from 25cm to 43cm. The sounder showed these fish every time. In fact at the end the kids were predicting they would hook up by the sounder showing fish.

I would say mine works OK.

Merry Christmas

Kingpig