Harbour Today

barrykrocker

Me and my brother went along the eastern harbour in my 3.3 inflatable today and after an hour or two had three cuttlefish and four small squid. We lost many more due to them being so small and not having a net. (very unprepared status) Most of the squid carked it due to our live tank being about a 5litre eskie with no aeration, thats to be expected i guess

The highlight of the day was my brother catching the biggest squid after he had jagged the same one ten minutes and earlier and pulled its tenctacle off, and it also sprayed its ink sac. Most people say that once you %%%%% them, you can forget about them, but this fella was still agressive after losing a tentacle. quite surprised at that one.

The live ones went into a keeper net tied under water and will be used tomorrow. Rather then making another thread I'll just reveal what devours them in this topic tomorrow

Me and my brother went along the eastern harbour in my 3.3 inflatable today and after an hour or two had three cuttlefish and four small squid. We lost many more due to them being so small and not having a net. (very unprepared status) Most of the squid carked it due to our live tank being about a 5litre eskie with no aeration, thats to be expected i guess

The highlight of the day was my brother catching the biggest squid after he had jagged the same one ten minutes and earlier and pulled its tenctacle off, and it also sprayed its ink sac. Most people say that once you %%%%% them, you can forget about them, but this fella was still agressive after losing a tentacle. quite surprised at that one.

The live ones went into a keeper net tied under water and will be used tomorrow. Rather then making another thread I'll just reveal what devours them in this topic tomorrow

Very good work on the squid. Eastern harbour seems to be ok lately by the looks of things. Are you keeping the squid live in the water over night? Cause I had a bad experience where i went back and the squid had been semi eaten over night!!! Squid after rain is always hard, so a pat on your back :thumbup:

Good luck, and hope you catch some monster fish for the effort you put into getting the squid. where abouts in Eastern harbour were you gigging?

cheers guys

Just put them in a 10l plastic water bottle with holes 1cm diameter holes cut in it . they were all small with the biggest being what I would call a about 10-15cm. They were surprisingly aggressive in spite of their small sizes.

I suspect the way ( and areas) we were jigging isn't conducive to catching the bigger ones

the usual spots on the everywhere between lady jane and rose bay basically

Mate

The best way to land squid is to use a bucket not a net. Scoop them into the bucket when they are on the surface next to your boat. Point the bucket away from you and the boat. If they ink it goes into the water or the bucket and not on you.

Cheers

Kingpig