Clifton Gardens - 13/1

sifisho

Afternoon all,

Went down to Clifton after all the reports from the last couple of weeks to see if i could get myself connected to my first kingy. I moved out here from the UK a while ago and basically all that I now know about fishing in Australia has come from reading this site, so a big thanks to you all!

Got down to the wharf at 5am, and there was already about a dozen people out there, the weather was fairly ordinary with quite a stiff southerly coming through.

Burleyed for a couple of hours before anything happened, and then saw the familiar green torpedoes zipping around right next to the wharf. The next thing I knew was my arms being wrenched out their sockets and my rod being bent double. After a brief tussle, I managed to land a king which was probably around 60cm (didnt measure him, just popped him straight back). Big thanks to the guy who netted him for me (I stupidly didnt take a net, and was planning to walk him over to the steps...) Managed to hook up an second time using a prawn on my bream gear, but couldnt hold him on the 3kg outfit.

There were a few other good hookups, but I didnt see any other kings landed while I was there. One guy landed a big salmon that took a whole yakka.

While I reckon the burley helped heaps, the only thing that would guarantee to bring the fish up was when another fish was hooked and on the surface, might be an idea to try that trick on Sunday (i.e. keeping one fish there while the next person gets hooked up), but I'm not sure if it will be possible to do on the jetty where there is a big risk of the fish busting you off against the pylons.

Will try and get a blurry picture off my mobile tonight.

Looking forward to the weekend and exchanging a few ideas with you other guys who are having sucess down there!

Cheers

Simon

Guest IFishSick.

:1welcomeani: To Australia Sifisho!!! Sounds like great fun!! Yeah that's a top way to get double hookups if you can afford to keep the King in the water while catching it. Bring your mate down and see if you can really get stuck into 'em

Awsome stuff :1prop:

Edited by IFishSick.

Nice report Sifosho and a big :1welcomeani: to the site.

Clifton is sure producing lately and was a great choice for the social.

Those kingies had better be ready for battle next Sunday.

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

:1welcomeani: to the site mate. Good efffort on a terrible day. I got to Clifton in my boat at about 7am and it was practically un-fishable with that southerly. At one stage my outboard stalled and i was drifting towards the Naval pilons at about 8 knots :1yikes: but luckily it kicked in. Congrats'.

Cheers,

Mark

Mate I am only guessing, because I think there are a few guys on here who know the place better than me, but fish as light as you think you can get away with because the fish are very picky. I would go for something like 6-8 kilo line, straight through to something like a 2/0 hook. You shouldnt need to use any more than a pea sized sinker, even if its a bit windy, even use no lead if you can. If you use a longer rod that helps too because you can pull directly against the fish if it wants to go under the wharf (which it will!).

For bait, I would use a strip of the best squid you can find (something you would be happy to eat yourself), or catch your own (if you can). Having said that some guys swear by a chunk of pillie, and I also had a run on a prawn, so I guess it doesnt matter too much as long as its fresh and tasty - you could also give a yakka a run although I have seen them turn their noses up at them. Dont skimp on the burley as well (bit of bread and tuna oil, or mashed pillies should do the trick).

Make sure your drag is set properly, and dont forget your net...

Good luck - let us know how you go

Guest Aussie007

i seen ya land that kingy bloody great fish we turned up there around 1am seen the old fella and his two sons as we were getting ready to go out he was walking back to his car to keep warm at that time he said there wasnt much around but had a huge run in the dark from the floating barrel thingo to the left right over to the rocks on the right than cut him off he thought it was a shark but who knows sure would have been a great fish his youngest son out fished me trying to catch live bait im hopeless :074: also seen one of those china man hook up to a nice flat head out to the right of the walf but lost it trying to get it in :1prop: a few kingy's followed that flaty up also seen what might have been your rod with the light gear go off? looked like that rod was ganna snap :1yikes: that salmon was a lovely fish :thumbup: we tryed using prawn,pilly and squid (not fresh) done no good how would u guys say live poddy mullet would go at CG? i cant seem to catch yakkas but catch plenty of poddy mullet with a trap...

Edited by gazza

Great effort sifisho, sounds like you did well compared to others there.

This is a great example of the fantastic information that can be provided to people reading the reports on this website. Nothing like up to date info on where the action is, and the best techniques.

All is looking great for the social, touch wood for the weather !!!!

Edited by 445F

Mate I am only guessing, because I think there are a few guys on here who know the place better than me, but fish as light as you think you can get away with because the fish are very picky. I would go for something like 6-8 kilo line, straight through to something like a 2/0 hook. You shouldnt need to use any more than a pea sized sinker, even if its a bit windy, even use no lead if you can. If you use a longer rod that helps too because you can pull directly against the fish if it wants to go under the wharf (which it will!).

For bait, I would use a strip of the best squid you can find (something you would be happy to eat yourself), or catch your own (if you can). Having said that some guys swear by a chunk of pillie, and I also had a run on a prawn, so I guess it doesnt matter too much as long as its fresh and tasty - you could also give a yakka a run although I have seen them turn their noses up at them. Dont skimp on the burley as well (bit of bread and tuna oil, or mashed pillies should do the trick).

Sifisho,

Mate not bad for a pom whos new to the game. Some good advice there. Youve past your theory and practical exam. May you catch many more.

cheers

b

Well done on your first kingy mate :thumbup:

Youve pretty knocked the nail on the head right there! :thumbup::thumbup: