Overhead Reel For Rock Fishing Salmon, Groper & Kings

Rode Cary

Hello keen fishos,

It's my first ever post but have been passively in the forum for quite a while. I decided to join as I think it's one of the best interactive fishing forum in the country and there are some great posts.

I have been shopping around for an overhead reel for rock fishing salmon, groper and kings. After long hours of reading, discussing with the local tackle shop ppl etc I came up with 3 options:

1. Daiwa Saltist STT 30TH (660g)

One salesperson convinced me it will be his first choice. Reasons: strong and sturdy, high speed of 6.4:1, good spool capacity of 300m/20 lbs, good castability and his main reason was that this narrow spool model will make it easier to feed the line on the spool with less thumb action (?? not sure if that's right). Quite pricey though. Cheapest bargain $ 269

2. Penn 525 MAg (500g)

High speed of 1:6, 250m of 20 lbs, looks strong and the main +ve thing is that it has a great castabilitya/t penn website due to its added mag cast control. -ve thing is that we can't get it here in Australia. Cost around $200+....shame nobody is importing those reels?? In Mauritius where I am from, GT's fishos use penn 345 GTI (not the best for casting) with great success. I am a big fan of Penn

3. Daiwa Sealine SL-X50 SHA (565g)

High speed of 1:6.1, 550m of 20 lbs (great capacity for a light reel), and its an improved version of the SL-X50 SHV series (not manufactured anymore apparently). Cheapest of the lot....less than $200

OK guys, tell me all you know about those reels. I am looking for a reliable, easy to cast, a reel I can use all day without getting tired....in short a reel that will make me smile

Cheers

Bertrand

Saltist no question from that list, more power, more drag..... the penn 525mag is a great casting reel, but its not available in australia and hence not supported locally by penn... the sealine 50 is a great reel, i have a SL30, another great casting reel and probably the most popular because it is quite inexpensive, light and very high speed, however its a bit old...

Ive bought two 525's and one 535 mag in Australia ,dont let them tell you there not available in Australia

the 525 dont hold enougth line .as after a good cast you have a very slow retrieve due to spool diameter ,the 535 mag is a very easy reel to control stright out of the box good drag enougth line for what you want it for and speed ,the Salitis is a good reel for bigger fish but i would go a Avet over all others for spinning off the rocks , All the reels are sold in Australia just finding a store that will give siverice without huge markups is the hard part ,

dcp02846rs2.jpg

Edited by Leigh

Saltist ..... a great reel for the price.

Strong gearing, drag and and all round tough reel.

I am about to start upgrading mine (drag, handle, spool annodizing, engarving and maybe a few other bits and peices).

For fishing for Groper, Kings and salmon off the rocks they would be my first choice.

And the narrow spool does make for easyer line lay.

Thanks heaps for the great replies

Hey Leigh, where did you buy your Penn 525 and 535?

Anybody else know where we can buy them?

THe Saltist is for sure a good reel. IS the norrow diameter appropriate for casting? or its more for jigging?

Cheers

Bertrand

Thanks heaps for the great replies

Hey Leigh, where did you buy your Penn 525 and 535?

Anybody else know where we can buy them?

THe Saltist is for sure a good reel. IS the norrow diameter appropriate for casting? or its more for jigging?

Cheers

Bertrand

The narrow spool is more for jigging and the 50 would get greater casting distance but i can still get a very good distance off mine with my t curve so with a longer rock rod you will have no problems