Stella 1000 - Massive Issues

gretsch

Gidday Guys.

Brand new member to the forum. Been reading it for long time however, never got round to registering.

Anyway, I finally scrambled together enough coin to purchase my dream spinning reel - the beautiful Stella 1000.

I thought it appropriate to match it with a nice rod so I purchased a Miller Bream Buster.

I loaded the Stella with 10ln braid and wenet flicking. I had heaps of knots and tangles and lost most of the spool dur to cutting off and re-rigging in about an hour.

I then switched to mono to see if that was better. Still massive tangles and knotting.

Upon closer inspection, I saw the problem. The line does not wind up on the spool properly when it has a little bit of slack in it. Moreover, the line will loop over the back of the spool even with the pressure of the lure or bait dragging. This is EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING.

Is there a solution? I have tried not loading the spool too much and even tried with different rods and recoil guides etc. Every possible combination. The guys at the tackle shop told me it is a factof life with the baby Stella.

Does anyon have a solution or, should I Ebay the reel?

Cheers

hi Mate,

i am aware of the problems you are facing.... and they are not exclusive to your Stella, any reel, shimano daiwa or other will form loose loops on the spool in you dont wind them under tension. it is just a fact of life..keep the stella, just adjust your technique

It is a habit you must get into, but you need to wind the line back on under tension after every half dozen casts, just pinch it between your fingers and wind it on...it only requires moderate tension, otherwise you will pick up loose loops when you cast, this will cause tangles... There will still be problems even if you wind the braid tight over a loose loop or two that is hiding underneath.

also, there can be issues with certain rods when you use them with certain reel, it is to do with the size and position of the stripper and choke guide, but your problem sounds like it is coming straight off the reel. I also doubt the millerods would suffer from design issues.

Which braid are you using?

Braid when wound on to a spool for the first time needs to be wound on very tight I wind it on to another rod and reel first then stick the rod in a rodholder on the boat and wind it back onto the reel I want it on under drag pressure leaving about a three mm gap between the spool lip and the line When fishing I check the spool for any loose loops every couple of casts

Sorry to hear about these issues. But I was wondering if you did reflect about how your casting style is? Braid lines seems to be more 'limp' than fireline and I reckon any violent whacks for the purpose of achieving distance might cause them to tangle easily. But then, 10lb seems a little more solid so I might be wrong. Still, try adjusting your casting style, braid lines casts smoothly so there's really no need to achieve that 'swooshhh' sound from your rod. Just my 2cents.

Cheers

The braids I am using (I have tried two) are Fins and Nitlon. They both had the same issues. Casting style - pretty smooth. I am not a whipper. More gentle and a smoother rounded type of action.

I find it particularly bad when squidding. working the jig and picking up the slack line is the worst for spool loops and casting knots. It is annoying to have to feed the slack on under tension everytime you whip the jig.

It is unusual that this doesn't occure with any of my fishing mates spinning reels (no Stellas). Also, I have owned and used Shimano 1000's over the past 10 years - Aerocast, Stradic and a Biomaster and it didn't happen to those with mono and Squidgy braid.

I am thinking of approaching Shimano and have a whinge...

Thanks for you advice lads.

I have fins in 4lb on my stradic 1000, 10lb on my curado, 20lb on my baitrunner, 30lb on my tekota and 50lb on my Avet. I also have Nitlon in 4lb on my symetre and 15lb on my symetre 4000, i had it on my curado but it was a nightmare and i lost the lot to a birds nest! The fins is great in the heavier classes, the 10lb is a dream to use, the 4lb is great too, every 8-10 casts it needs a tidy up

The nitlon braid is a nightmare in the lighter classes, i have had to stop using the 4lb beacause of the wind knots, it needs to be wound tight every 2nd or 3rd cast... it is far too limp which makes it impossible to rip a longer cast...i have gone back to using fireline with almost no cast knots.

I found that the thicker the line the more knots I got out of all my stellas. The older ones seem to be better than the newer ones. The best was the old AR jap ones.

Try 2-4lb braid and it will be slightly better or as you say "ebay" it and get your self a Steez or Exist. I have had hardly any loop knots with the Exists. I like the larger spools on these and are lighter than the Stellas in the 1000 size even tho these are in the 2500 size. Larger spools seem to have lesser knots.

Greg

what are you fishing for? 10lb on that set up sounds a bit heavy. as previously stated the heavier lines are not as limp and although braid does not have memory it still holds the shape it was last wraped in until changed. i think this may have something to do with why your haveing trouble winding the line on smothly.

also you have to pay more attention to braid as it tangles a lot easier than mono, so if any loose wraps take care. i usually have a light cast then strip line by hand till i pass the loose wraps then wind it back on nice n neat.

if ur after bream 4lb is plenty (unless ur in the racks, but i still think 4lb is good) and should cast further.

I found that the thicker the line the more knots I got out of all my stellas. The older ones seem to be better than the newer ones. The best was the old AR jap ones.

Try 2-4lb braid and it will be slightly better or as you say "ebay" it and get your self a Steez or Exist. I have had hardly any loop knots with the Exists. I like the larger spools on these and are lighter than the Stellas in the 1000 size even tho these are in the 2500 size. Larger spools seem to have lesser knots.

Greg

I aggree with Greg as far as Exists and Steezs go (or any Daiwa for that matter).

They pack loose braid much better than the Shimanos (not bagging out Shimanos i have both and use both Shimano and Daiwa the same amount). It has to do with how fast (or slow, cant remember which one it is at the moment) the ocsillation of the spool is. This is the reason that i use Daiwas in small spinning reels most of the time. If this has made any sence i hope it has helped abit.

Cheers,

Fletcher

Ok.... I have 4lb Fireline on the spare spool. Lets see what happens ths weekend.

Thanks for all the tips.

Cheers

Ceph. A. Lopod

Ceph

Make sure you don't give up to early on the fireline at the start as fireline gets better as it wears alittle.

G

Well..... a big thank you to you all. The 4lb Fireline worked a treat. I only had one problem on about the 5th cast then the line really settled down. I was still watching the looping and to my surprise, there was very little. I was also fishing in a gentle wind which kept the line more taught than a dead still day.

And you guys thought there would be a cheap Stella on Ebay... no such luck.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

Cheers

Ceph. A. Lopod

• 3 weeks later...

Hey mate,

Just persist with the little baby stella 1000. its a very nice reel. I have two myself, bought another one after using one for the first time cause I was so impressed.

Yeah the drag is very smooth! very good reel, and much lighter than the 2500fb stella.

because you are casting smaller weights you might find that the line does not tighten up as much in the spool, due to significant reduction in tension, hence the problem. you will always encounter this with any small size reel, doesn;t mater hwo good the design. the problem is improved if you use ligther line(thinner diam) and slightly larger casting weights.

hope this helps mate!

Go the baby stella 1000!!!!!!

Cheers,

Huey :tease:

Yeah ... I have drastically improved the sutuation by using the 4lb Fireline and concentrating a little more on my technique. I find squid jigging the biggest offender due to the amount of times you wind up the slack.

Have you seen the new 2007 Series?

Check out this link

http://www.plat.co.jp/english/shimano/New_STELLA/Stella.htm

Very nice... will be saving my pennies.

Cheers

Ceph