Nsw Political Feedback Re: Re Recreational Fishing

Hi Guys,

ANSA NSW is working closely with a few other groups in NSW to try to pin down policies from all political parties prtior to the NSW election. The Anglers Action Group is one group we work with, attached is their feedback to date.

One week out from the election we shoudl have a definitive answer where rec fishing sits with these political parties to pass onto you guys for you to digest prior to voting.

I notice that Robert Smith from the Fishing Party has his info up which is good to see, we will endevour to get the rest as soon as possible.

Cheers

Stan Konstantaras

ANSA NSW President

Anglers Action Group

Media Release: 5th March 2007.

For Immediate Release: Political parties snub recreational fishers

With political commentators and even internal Labor polling hinting at the possibility of a hung parliament following the March State election if Labor loses 8 seats one would expect that NSW Labor would jump at the opportunity to state what they would do for a group of over 900,000 voters, being the recreational fishers of NSW. But this is not the case.

AAG had written to 5 political parties requesting they answer questions on six issues considered of importance to the recreational fishers of NSW. The issues were designed to be open ended to enable responses in any manner desired. The parties contacted were the NSW branches of Labor, Liberal, Australian Democrats, The Greens, Christian Democrats, and the Nationals. Issues included the vision for recreational fishing in NSW, what is seen as the best structure to represent the interests of recreational fishers, reducing the apparent conflict between recreational and commercial fishers, plus environmental issues.

Replies were received from The Greens, Liberals/Nationals and one independent, Steven Pringle, member for Hawkesbury. The replies, without comment or favor, have been distributed to recreational fishing organisations. AAG president Phil Ingram said "For the voting public to make proper and informed decisions on how to vote, the political parties need to get the information out there. Admittedly, to many people recreational fishing is just a past time but it is not without issues. Recreational fishers are a group of nearly one million voters, and the replies may help recreational fishers decide which way to vote. AAG finds the lack of responses from three of the political parties, including one of the majors, a bit disconcerting - and it suggests to us that these parties don't place recreational fishing on their political radar."

If recreational fishers are being ignored by political parties then a possible explanation is that the campaigns are based on maintaining seats they wish to hold and those they consider they might win, in an attempt to gain majority in the Legislative Assembly, and hence win Government. But what of the upper house - this does not explain the lack of recognition to one large group of the voting public by the parties that didn't respond. And if recreational fishers are ignored by any political party, then presumably they would also ignore other sectors of the community such as other sporting bodies.

Phil goes on to say: "With recent polling predicting Labor to win Government, why are they ignoring the voting public in this way – could it be a case carry on as usual if they win Government? And what of Labor’s internal polling that shows Labor may lose 5 marginal seats with another 2 in doubt? If the possibility that Labor needs to form a minority Government comes to fruition then they only have themselves to blame."

Labour Party Response to AAG re: recreational fishing in NSW

Mr Phillip Ingram

President

Anglers Action Group

PO Box 630

NARRABEEN NSW 2101

Dear Mr Ingram,

Thank you for providing the Australian Labor Party (ALP) with the opportunity to outline our policy position on recreational fishing.

The Government wants to see the continuation of quality recreational fishing opportunities for the almost one million people who go recreational fishing each year.

We established 30 recreational fishing havens to provide fair and equitable access for recreational anglers.

The Iemma Government will continue to work constructively with the Advisory Council on Recreational Fishing, as we have through the development of the two most recent marine parks along the NSW coast, as well as receiving advice from the expenditure committees on how to best use licence fees to benefit all anglers in NSW.

The Iemma NSW Government is currently negotiating more complimentary management arrangements with the Commonwealth, especially with regard to fair and reasonable access for the people of NSW.

The severe ongoing drought in NSW has seen many challenges, with decreased flows known to affect fish production in estuaries, and reduced levels in inland rivers and impoundments limiting opportunities for enhancement programs such as fish stocking.

Even through these times, the Government has continued to stock waterways with fish and to work with recreational fishers to ensure this popular pastime continues on for current and future generations.

Once again, thank you for providing the ALP with an opportunity to outline its policy position on this matter.

Anyone who really cares about their fishing WILL NOT vote for Labour in this election.......

The recent marine parks they speak of are a joke based on zero scientific information purely to get preference votes from the Greens! Its absolute bullshit.

The people who suffer from these unfounded marine park zones are us - the recreational fisher (not to mention people in towns like Bermagui and Seal Rocks who will lose valuable tourism dollars)!

The Advisory Council of Rec Fishing has an Nature Conservation Council member on it's board! A group unfoundedly supporting Marine Park Lockouts!

Does Rec Fishing have a member or rep on the NCC board, I think not!

The Advisory Council of Rec Fishing has an Nature Conservation Council member on it's board! A group unfoundedly supporting Marine Park Lockouts!

Does Rec Fishing have a member or rep on the NCC board, I think not!

Dont get me started on the bloody NCC!!

They have openly said that they wont stop until at least 50% of all water is closed to fishing and they dont care about the lies they have to spin to get what they want. Just look at the crap about there only being 400 grey nurse sharks on the entire east coast. What a load!!

Also wasnt it interesting today that the Greens came out and said all their preferences to go to Labor. Isnt this the exact thing that both parties have been denying regarding the implementation of the new marine parks?? :1badmood:

I know a majority of people on this site are based in and around Sydney so dont really feel the effects of the new marine parks but if Labor win this election then believe me........Marine parks restricting Sydney will not be to far off!

Also wasnt it interesting today that the Greens came out and said all their preferences to go to Labor. Isnt this the exact thing that both parties have been denying regarding the implementation of the new marine parks??

I know a majority of people on this site are based in and around Sydney so dont really feel the effects of the new marine parks but if Labor win this election then believe me........Marine parks restricting Sydney will not be to far off!

First of all the Greens haven't handed over all of their preferences. They have only given them in about 17 seats. There is no distinct Green/Labor alliance.

If you are going to not vote labor based on what may or may not happen then you need to be a little more informed. There already is (and has been for quite some time) a marine park within the bounds of Sydney. It has made most of us BB fisho's happy as it means a major breeding area (quibray bay) is off limits to all and sundry. It's a beautiful spot and I am reasonably certain it would contain some pretty good fish but I prefer there to be a sanctuary around it.

If you want facts - one in seven public servants will be effected by he 20,000 job cuts offered by the Libs. How many of them will be fisheries, waterways, riverkeepers etc nobody knows because they simply refuse to announce where the cuts will take place.

Dave

First of all the Greens haven't handed over all of their preferences. They have only given them in about 17 seats. There is no distinct Green/Labor alliance.

Interesting point Dave - I heard yesterday that the Greens in Newcastle were giving their preferences to a labour defector standing as an independant.

We have to be very careful not to generalise to ensure that our preferences don't go to the Greens by some indistinct path.

I have real concerns over Debnam - he's an idiot who will clearly do anything for publicity - it would not surprise me if he sold Rec Fishos down the line if he got in anyway. Iemma's just as bad.

I just now have to be careful that my choice doesn't mean giving preferences to someone who'll take away the rights that we pay for.

Interesting point Dave - I heard yesterday that the Greens in Newcastle were giving their preferences to a labour defector standing as an independant.

We have to be very careful not to generalise to ensure that our preferences don't go to the Greens by some indistinct path.

I have real concerns over Debnam - he's an idiot who will clearly do anything for publicity - it would not surprise me if he sold Rec Fishos down the line if he got in anyway. Iemma's just as bad.

I just now have to be careful that my choice doesn't mean giving preferences to someone who'll take away the rights that we pay for.

The only problem is that the Greens have not handed over all their prefernces to the Labor Party as part of the deal for bulldozing the Marine Parks in before the election.

So who can you trust.

Definatley not the Greens! If we had some more research before the the marine parks went in and a committment for more research once they went in, many anglers would not have such a jaded veiw of the Greens and the whole NSW Political Marine Park process that the Greens and Labor party blessed us with.

LOL

If you are going to not vote labor based on what may or may not happen then you need to be a little more informed. There already is (and has been for quite some time) a marine park within the bounds of Sydney. It has made most of us BB fisho's happy as it means a major breeding area (quibray bay) is off limits to all and sundry. It's a beautiful spot and I am reasonably certain it would contain some pretty good fish but I prefer there to be a sanctuary around it.

If you want facts - one in seven public servants will be effected by he 20,000 job cuts offered by the Libs. How many of them will be fisheries, waterways, riverkeepers etc nobody knows because they simply refuse to announce where the cuts will take place.

Dave

How does the Quibray Bay reserve compare to the Marine Parks Labor is declaring up and down the coast? It is a small part of one Sydney estuary and has some scientific basis. If you want a comparison to what is happening in Labor's marine parks imagine half or more of the inshore reefs in Sydney off limits along with many of our iconic rock and beach spots.

As to the public service cuts the Libs refer to they are talking about bureaucrats - not front line public servants. All oppositions say they can cut down on waste and unecessary expenditure in order to pay for their promises. The claims of savings are often overstated, but so is the sugestion that they will affect front line services.

Edited by billfisher

How does the Quibray Bay reserve compare to the Marine Parks Labor is declaring up and down the Coast? It is a small part of one Sydney estuary and has some scientific basis. If you want a comparison to what is happening in Labor's marine parks imagine half or more of the inshore reefs in Sydney off limits along with many of our iconic rock and beach spots.

Exactly right billfisher! There is no comparison!

The problem is that many people in sydney have never fished the areas now closed in the new marine parks and do not fully understand how bad they really are - both up and down the coast!

Dont get me wrong if there was credible scientific evidence to support these parks most people would not have a problem but when there is none it really is a joke.....................