Leader

Lasty

I am after some advice on what to use as a leader as I was broken off twice in Botany Bay today.

The first time I was using 10lb Diawia sea-line (pretty old I must admit) as a leader and got the biggest flathead I have ever seen. I got it to the boat and my 12 year old son actually got it into the environet but it was too heavy for him to lift and it jumped out and guess what, the leader broke. Now I admit this probably wasn't the line's fault, as i was using old line and it was a very big fish.

The second time I was using some 12lb JW mono that my Dad had and I hooked something which took lots of line and swam up and down the side of the boat several times and then swam under the boat. It didn't have the heavy dead weight of a flathead but it had plenty of weight and power. When I dragged it out from under the boat this leader broke as well (or I was bitten off). It was not my knots because the leaders broke about 1/3 of the way from the hook.

I was I was using 8lb mono as my mainline and was wondering what you guys use or would recommend that I use a leader as I don't want this to happen again (although i admit it is all part of fishing)?

Fluorocarbon is also arguably a better leader material, Lasty. Give some of that a go too. I've caught flatties on 4lb to 60lb leader in certain circumstances, so I'm not going to suggest any particular breaking strain. Hopefully you land the bigguns next time!

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

Guest IFishSick.

Fluorocarbon is also arguably a better leader material, Lasty. Give some of that a go too. I've caught flatties on 4lb to 60lb leader in certain circumstances, Flattieman.

Although you may have caught them on 60lb gear, you get so many more strikes with lighter line. Flurocarbon is the way to go when targetting flatties. Just got some 10lb Seaguar the other day, havn't used it yet but it takes a lot more effort to cut the line compared to monofilament.

It is very thin and hard line too, but has memory so don't bother putting on a leader that will make it to your reel or you will have swirls in the leader.

It is very thin and hard line too, but has memory so don't bother putting on a leader that will make it to your reel or you will have swirls in the leader.

I've copped something similar when I replaced the mono on one of my reels with

flourocarbon,after a couple of outings all my line had spiraled badly and was unfishable.

penguin

Edited by penguin

Guest IFishSick.

I've copped something similar when I replaced the mono on one of my reels with

flourocarbon,after a couple of outings all my line had spiraled badly and was unfishable.

penguin

Go with some braid then mate, and attatch a 2m flurocarbon leader