Daiwa Rod And Reel - Good Enough For Kingies?

Caine1

Hiya,

I am new to this site (first post) and the following question is going to show just how new I am :biggrin2:

I have a Daiwa IM-6 Graphite, Coastal Tournament, 701HFS Inshore Special. On the rod it says LINE 10-20lb. This is coupled with a Daiwa Laguna 4000 reel and I have braided line.

I am going out in to the harbour this weekend fishing for some kingies and want to know if this rig will do the job. It does seem to be fairly thin at the end of the rod and it doesn't actually say what its rated to weight wise.

Cheers

Caine

Thanks...good to know I dont have to spend up big - yet..

We are going to attempt to catch squid so we 'should' be using live bait.

OK have just done some research and mine is the heavy model - 9kg......

this should be fun... :biggrin2:

Guest IFishSick.

Make sure you have your drag set high if you're live baiting. Let the king run for a start then wack the drag up to 50% the breaking strain of the line.

If it's a half decent king you'll be reefed....but its all in good fun

Guest IFishSick.

That means the Kingfish will head straight for the reef at the ocean floor and cut through your leader/trace.

Mate.. you need a heavy trace if live baiting. I prefer a 2 metre leader of 40lb Fluorocarbon connected to the braid with an Albright or Slim Beauty knot. If you hook a 90cm plus fish, you will need a s..load of pulling power to get him away from structure and reef.

One little tip: don't leave your rod unattended unless it is in a decent rod holder otherwise you will donate it to the sea (unwillingly).

Cheers and good luck.

Edited by Ceph