Advice On Cod Fishing Tackle

jonboy

Hi there

I'm hoping to get some advice on the type of gear I would need to chase a few Cod west of the divide (around Tamworth, Inverell, Dubbo etc)

I'd mainly be flicking spinnerbaits and a few hard body lures from the bank rather than trolling BIG lures around the dams.

I need some advice on a decent rod and reel combo that would do the trick (up to $300).

Is a 4000 size reel too big/big enough (I was looking at a Shimano Sedona or Sahara or Daiwa Exceler but am open to suggestions).

What would be a good rod (again, I was looking at a Silstar HG 6'6" 3-6kg Spin rod - how would that suit a 4000 reel)

Line??? (14lb Fireline and 20lb Flurocarbon leader???)

I'd appreciate any advice

Cheers

Hi there

I'm hoping to get some advice on the type of gear I would need to chase a few Cod west of the divide (around Tamworth, Inverell, Dubbo etc)

I'd mainly be flicking spinnerbaits and a few hard body lures from the bank rather than trolling BIG lures around the dams.

I need some advice on a decent rod and reel combo that would do the trick (up to $300).

Is a 4000 size reel too big/big enough (I was looking at a Shimano Sedona or Sahara or Daiwa Exceler but am open to suggestions).

What would be a good rod (again, I was looking at a Silstar HG 6'6" 3-6kg Spin rod - how would that suit a 4000 reel)

Line??? (14lb Fireline and 20lb Flurocarbon leader???)

I'd appreciate any advice

Cheers

Hey mate

I grew up in Coonabarabran which is located directly between Dubbo and Tamworth. I know guys chasing cod usually use baitcasters. I use a Saltist HRF low profile baitcaster similar to what you would use chasing barra. A rod rated to 8kg and some 20 pound braid. The better dawia spinning reels have enough drag pressure in the 2500 size for cod and a bonus is they are also light enough for bream and bass. I have a SOL put i have heard good things about the Tierra and Exceler as well. I used an 2500 size exceler on the gold coast which handled alot of different fish the best being a small cobia. SO i would use a 2500 size reel with a rod rated to 6-8kilos if spinning is your prefered.

I have seen Exceler's as low as $140 which leaves you plenty of change from 300 for a decent rod.

Hope i have helped you