Penn 560 Live Liner Vs Shimano Btr4500

Heath

All,

Am tossing up between the Penn Live Liner 560 and the Shimano 4500 baitrunner for a new rod I have made. ( Samarai NV8 ).

Wondering if anyone out there has a Penn Live Liner 560 and is able to comment on it. :1fishing1:

I have a baitrunner 4500, and it truely is a jack of all trades...... i use it spinning for pelagics, live baiting for kings, light jigging and shallow bottom bashing, and also as a beach reel.... it has been dunked in salt water, sand, dropped kicked and generally treaded like crap.... but its still going like new and that is testament enough for me...

Heath - I have a 5600 Live Liner. Would have no probs recommending this reel. Has caught plenty of Kings (mine spooled with 10Kg Tuffline).

The Shimano is a good reel too with a pretty solid reputation. I had the same decision to make as you and went for the Penn, as it has 6 bearings (from memory) versus the Baitrunners 3. The spool on the Baitrunner is a bit larger in diameter so may be a better casting reel. But the the Penns a bit lighter than the BR. Not much difference in ratio 4.6-1 for the Penn and 4.8-1 for the BR.

End of the day you wont go wrong with either IMO.

Enjoy the decision

John

Thanks for the comments. I have 4 baitrunners and they are fantastic reels, but I was thinking along the same lines as you John with the extra BB and slightly lighter reel.

John, does the baitrunner feature automatically dissengage on the Penn when you turn the handle?

Edited by Heath

All,

Am tossing up between the Penn Live Liner 560 and the Shimano 4500 baitrunner for a new rod I have made. ( Samarai NV8 ).

Wondering if anyone out there has a Penn Live Liner 560 and is able to comment on it. :1fishing1:

Heath please post us a picture of the rod you made, I'm taking up rod building this winter for when its too miserable to fish.

Cheers

Evil

Thanks for the comments. I have 4 baitrunners and they are fantastic reels, but I was thinking along the same lines as you John with the extra BB and slightly lighter reel.

John, does the baitrunner feature automatically dissengage on the Penn when you turn the handle?

Yeh mate goes straight back on the main (spool drag) when you wind the handle. Reckon the handle (at least the knob part feels better than the BR). The BR's are great reels but I reckon the Penn is worth the extra $50 odd you have to pay.

John