Lake Jindabyne

locodave

Hi Mate.

I am heading up too. I usually fish Eucumbene on the long weekend, this will be my first at jindy.

As far as I know the lake it self is open all year round it is just the rivers that close for spawning.

Where are you staying? Can you suggest any where with a decent boat ramp?

Cheers.

Robbie.

I personally prefer snowline caravan park, has its own boat ramp too!!

If you guys do go, can I jump on someones boat? Last time I was there I fished from 7am - Nothing!!

Apparently it has to be earlier!

Guys whats the fishing like this time of year at the lake, and what species could i expect to catch?

I'm thinking of doing something out of the ord this long w.e and this may be the one :thumbup:

DAN

Man its awesome being in the cold :D Good change, I love it!

I've been up twice and both times stayed at the caravan park at Adaminaby....... nice, close to shops and more importantly pubs!

Heaps of friendly people out there :thumbup:

Oh I know the pub at Adaminaby too well :1wine: nice big open fire place and tall tall tales :P

Unfortunately for this trip I don't have access to a 4x4 to get the boat in and out so we are looking at Jindy which still has a ramp that actually goes into the water, other wise we would be off to Old Adaminaby again.

Cheers.

Robbie.

I personally prefer snowline caravan park, has its own boat ramp too!!

If you guys do go, can I jump on someones boat? Last time I was there I fished from 7am - Nothing!!

Apparently it has to be earlier!

Man its awesome being in the cold :D Good change, I love it!

Mate you can jump on with us if you can put up with :smoke: and :drunk: and a fair bit of bullst it is very much a boys weekend away :1prop:

Yes you do need to be early the best fishing is at dawn and sunset.

I cant wait, I bought a new coat yesterday just for the trip :frozen::frozen::frozen:

Cheers,

Robbie.

Guys whats the fishing like this time of year at the lake, and what species could i expect to catch?

I'm thinking of doing something out of the ord this long w.e and this may be the one :thumbup:

DAN

Hi Dan,

The fishing reports are good from up there, but they always are as the reports come from the local tackle store who has an interest :1prop:

You can expect Rainbow, Brook and Brown Trout and atlantic Salmon although I am not sure if Jindy is still stocked with Salmon.

Cheers.

Robbie.

Hi Dan,

The fishing reports are good from up there, but they always are as the reports come from the local tackle store who has an interest :1prop:

You can expect Rainbow, Brook and Brown Trout and atlantic Salmon although I am not sure if Jindy is still stocked with Salmon.

Cheers.

Robbie.

Thanks Robbie, Do you (or anyone else) know of any good caravan park prices and if possible links to their website as im really digging this idea of targeting freshwater species.

Also, What is jindabyne like, is it a small lake with hundreds of boats bunched up or is it fairly lengthy?

Any help is greatly appreciated..

DAN

I have not been to Jindy yet but it is a big lake, plenty of room for every one. Most people with boats would be trolling or chuking lures at structure and then moving on in a lake that size there is always some where else to fish

Snowline caravan park was mentioned as accomidation. I just rang them and they still have cabins. I was quoted $750 for a six berth for 3 nights.

Cheers.

Robbie

Lake Jindy is a pretty big lake but starting to get very low!

People are having trouble launching as the clay and mud that was once underwater is now exposed. Even big 4WD have recently been hauled out of the mud by tractors!

Many new islands have appeared causing a few navigation problems to those who have not been for some time. The middle now consists of a very big island as the many previous smaller islands have now joined up.

Good Luck, Lake Jindy is a true top spot! :1fishing1:

We are heading down to Jindabyne on Wednesday. I hear it is pretty low. We will fish the river Thursday then the lake for the rest of the time.

You might find cheaper accommodation if you rent a house if you are there for more than a few days.

I will put in a report when we return next Monday.

Hi loco dave,

I'm heading down to Jindabyne for a week on Saturday.

My pre-trip research indicates that conditions are looking good.

Lake Jindabyne is around 47% and rising; more rain predicted for Friday and again early next week should see it rise further.

Spawn run browns have already started running up the Thredbo River. They are taking globugs, nymphs (black or brown, weighted or bead head) fished deep, and also lures. Early morning is best. Minimum size limit for the river is 50 cm and only one fish per day may be kept, till the river closes to fishing on the June long weekend. Note, only flies and lures allowed -- no bait fishing.

In the lake, early morning and evening fishing has been good, with some big browns being taken by those willing to endure the conditions and fish into the night. Hatchery Bay, Sids Bay and Waste Point are supposed to be best spots. Fish are mostly feeding on yabbies and shrimp, so woolly bugger, weighted yabby, Bushy's horror, large fuzzy wuzzy, zonker and yeti are best flies to try.

Good fish have also been taken trolling lures, particularly by anglers downrigging. Spinning lures at the river mouth is also worth a try. Best lures: Bennet deep and ultra deep minnow and tassie devils. Barbie grubs, power bait and scrub worms have been the best baits.

Can't vouch for the accuracy of this info, that I found on another website, but conditions do look promising.

Hope this helps.

Tight lines,

Bob

Hi dave/everyone

The usual websites will also give you the same info as the above post, though there is nothing like an eyewitness account. Please take it from me. The websites that report on Jindabyne are seldom accurate. I feel they are written by the same person each week who tends to get tired and bored of submitting. It can also change so dramatically from day to day (like the weather down there). That is why forums like this are so good. They are written by average Joe's like you and me.

I just came back from Jindabyne and the fishing was fantastic. Trolling was the best as it gives you the opportunity to get the lure in the strike zone (the right depth). I did best using attractors on lead core with a Rapala F7 (brown trout pattern) trolled extremely slow on the electric. (Dave I don,t believe your boat wil troll slow enough).

Forget about Eucumbene all together!! There is only about 2 places you can launch!! It hardly has any water in it and it is surrounded by mud mud mud. it is almost impossible to fish from the shore.

As far as accomodation goes you cannot go past Snowline caravan park. Excellent ,friendly staff, and great facilities. They also have a freezer if you want to take a few fish home. Last time I was there I even had them sending and receiving faxes for me. Nothing was ever too much trouble.

As far as only fishing dawn and dusk goes - thats crap!! I caught most of my best fish during the day. Get yourself a Freshwater Almanac that predicts the bite times. according to Solunar activity. Thats probably the most important thing.

The fish there two weeks ago were not huge (None of mine went more than 2kg) but they were in fantastic condition.

The lake is full of yabbies and goldfish. I caught quite a few fish on yabbies (as small as possible) under a float. Powerbait went well too.

Drop into the tackle store in the old shopping centre. The guys in there know heaps about trolling if thats your thing. If bait fishing is your thing, ask around for Mark Duffy. He is sort of a local guide, fishes every day and will put you onto fish. Otherwise you can be just wasting time.

Make sure you have thermal underwear!! It wasn't too bad the other week( the morning only went dow to about 5 deg) but it will be getting colder

The boat ramps are good and the lake is never overcrowded. Its always quite social back at the ramp comparing catches. i always use the opportunity to look at the other boats and dream up the best set up.

I wish it was me going down there. I love it so much I am going to miove down there. I am just waiting for a job to come up at the troput hatchery.

Good luck. Let us know how you do.

davo

Edited by DV8

Davo,

Thanks for the top report.

I am booking accomadation tommorow (although there is a bit of an issue amongst us with not allowing dogs :()

As for downriging, should I use my sliding snell rig with squid :074: Just kidding, I have never down rigged for trout before, we usually troll tassies behind the boat but my boat has a rigger now. Is it just a case of using the rigger to get the Tassies down to the thermocline or is there more involved?

Cheers.

Robbie.

Davo,

Thanks for the top report.

I am booking accomadation tommorow (although there is a bit of an issue amongst us with not allowing dogs :()

As for downriging, should I use my sliding snell rig with squid :074: Just kidding, I have never down rigged for trout before, we usually troll tassies behind the boat but my boat has a rigger now. Is it just a case of using the rigger to get the Tassies down to the thermocline or is there more involved?

Cheers.

Robbie.

Robbie

Downrigging is an effective way of getting your lure down particularly in the summer months. It is however a bit of a hassle, particularly if you are on your own or if there is a bit of wind. When I was down there two weeks ago nobody was downrigging (it just wasn't necesary) though leadcore was doing well especially as the sun came up.

In my view attractors are a "must" at the moment. I just seemed to get more fish than most other guys every session. The only trouble with attractors is that you need to troll them dead slow or you will get twisting.

Tassies are a good cheap lure and will troll faster. You can even tie a soft plastic like a stickbait off about 30cm behind the tassie - works well. I however, don't use tassies. The lure/s that were killing them two weeks ago were the minnow style rapalas in brown trout pattern.

My typical setup was to put one leadline down 2-3 colours with attractors + rapala F7 (30 cm drop back)

and one flat line with attractors and rapala F7. Some days all fish were caught on top, other times all fish were on leadline. You just never know.

Good luck and please let me know how you do.

Davo

Make sure you have thermal underwear!! It wasn't too bad the other week( the morning only went dow to about 5 deg) but it will be getting colder

Hahaha! I know what you mean! When I was there last year, in April I nearly froze on the boat! But I loved it!

Mate you can jump on with us if you can put up with :smoke: and :drunk: and a fair bit of bullst it is very much a boys weekend away :1prop:

Sounds good, I'll let you know if I go. Are you definately going for the long weekend? Well snowline has their own boat ramp (pretty sure) if your worried.

And if you need some1 to talk bullsh*t, I guess I can tell you the time I caught a Marlin on handline :tease:

True Story :ninja:

Edited by locodave

Snowline doesn't have a ramp, though the ramp is next to snowline. DO NOT under any circumstances try to launch anywhere else at the moment or you could end up up to the axles in mud. If you are prepared to spend money on entry to the national park, laubnch at Waste point and troll Creel bay - big fish there!!

davo