Opinions On Reel

macka17

Hi.

I'm thinking of getting a light Popping rig. A Capricorn 4500J. or Caldia Kix 4000 reel. (I'm not a shimano man) also. What sticks would suit?

I'm not into egg beaters. and can't get my brain round the sort of prices people pay for some of them.

No problem with my O/Heads though. So I thought I'd go this way first. Then When/if it shits itself. My brain might accept a better reel.

All my life. e/beaters have been for 6lb and below..only..

Regards All

and thank's in advance. Be gentle with an old fart....

Macka17

Fishfinder Tony has some nice custom rods that will do it 7'6" 3-5kg & 4-6kg snapper rods that will cast a popper a mile He also has some nice off the rack rods that will suit as well

How do I contact him please.

Macka17

Guest rzep

FISHFINDER BAIT AND TACKLE

TONY AND REBECCA DAVIS

548 BUNNERONG ROAD

MATRAVILLE

(02) 9661 7967

Tony can also be contacted by personal message on this forum by using member name - Fishfinder Tony

Got one Daiwa Capricorn 4500J

What a great reel. Powerful drag (9kg), smooth like butter and cast well

money well spent for sure

cheers

Bertrand

Hi Bertrand. What stick you using it on. For what fishing. I'm going to use it for light Popping and Jigging Up here in C.Q.

I was thinking 30lb Braid Backing. With 15 nylon on top...

Regards.

Macka17

Macka17, the high tech spinning reels are just awesome. No longer are they flimsy toys but are serious pieces of gear. They do cost a fair bit but so do the high end overheads.

The advantage of a spinning reel is its versatility. It ability to cast both light and heavy weights and its idiot proof nature. No need to lay the line on the spool , birds nests etc. The reels you mention are both great reels. The caldia kix is one of the smoothest reels going around.

But daiwa produces some really high end gear in the saltiga/certate range. The certates are better for casting as they are lighter and smoother. Anywhich way you'll have a lot of fun with them. Cheers Kelvin

Macka17, the high tech spinning reels are just awesome. No longer are they flimsy toys but are serious pieces of gear. They do cost a fair bit but so do the high end overheads.

The advantage of a spinning reel is its versatility. It ability to cast both light and heavy weights and its idiot proof nature. No need to lay the line on the spool , birds nests etc. The reels you mention are both great reels. The caldia kix is one of the smoothest reels going around.

But daiwa produces some really high end gear in the saltiga/certate range. The certates are better for casting as they are lighter and smoother. Anywhich way you'll have a lot of fun with them. Cheers Kelvin

Thank's Kelvin.

Yep. I know they awesome. Had a play with a 6500 today Wrong side of a grand.

Having trouble getting brain round fact of spending that much $$$$ on an Egg Beater. Mind. I have no problem spending on my Saltiga's and Alutecnos, and all the two speeds I have..

I'm going the CApricorn way. Cause it supposed to be stronger. Once I bust a couple. I'll be alright....

Mentally.....

I was always brought up. Egg Beaters are for 6lb and below.....Proper reels above that.....

I'll learn.

Thank's again.

Macka17

hi macka,

i use my capricorn 4500J for surf fishing. Basically I cast 3-4 oz star sinker with ganged hooked pillies targetting salmon, tailor and whoever else interested. The reel doesn't look like a strong reel but once you start reeling you'll change your mind. Don't forget that this reel is designed primarily for jigging, so it has to be strong. To answer your question i use 20 lbs mono and 12 ft shakeunderwatere surf rod (rating 8-12 kg). Very confident to land any decent fish with that set up. HAving said that, 30 lbs braid will be awesome on that reel. Mate, you will like the capricorn.

cheers

Bertrand

hi macka,

i use my capricorn 4500J for surf fishing. Basically I cast 3-4 oz star sinker with ganged hooked pillies targetting salmon, tailor and whoever else interested. The reel doesn't look like a strong reel but once you start reeling you'll change your mind. Don't forget that this reel is designed primarily for jigging, so it has to be strong. To answer your question i use 20 lbs mono and 12 ft shakeunderwatere surf rod (rating 8-12 kg). Very confident to land any decent fish with that set up. HAving said that, 30 lbs braid will be awesome on that reel. Mate, you will like the capricorn

Yep. Got it..$270 Barra Jacks Rocky..Nice looking. Just hope it's stronger than it looks.

Something similar to my little favourite.. Daiwa SW 203. Tiny little thing. But it's skulldragged some huge fish in. Barra. and reefies in shallow water...Line capacity only problem there. Handles 50lb 8 wrap braid beautifully. I prefer it to my Black Sheep...

macka17

Edited by macka17