30hp Mariner Alternator System?

garyd

Hi Guys,

I was hoping that someone might be able to help me. I have a Mariner 30hp 2 stroke outboard on my stacer 400 bass elite. Looking on the mercury website it says that my motor has a 6 amp (84 watt) under the (Alternator System:). Does this mean i have been unnessasarily charging my battery when all i needed to do was conect this system or is it just the system that supplies power to the motor to run?

Thanks Gary

The specs refer to the battery charging system and not the power that is required to run the engine.

Does your motor have electric start & did you purchase the motor new?

Usually, if you get a motor with electric start, a charging system is automatically fitted also. If yours is pull start only then it may not have it fitted and might be a dealer fitted option. One way to tell if your motor is charging the battery is put a digital multimeter(voltmeter) on the battery when the engine is running. It should be reading around 14v doing medium to high revs and drop down closer to 12 - 13v when at idle.

Or take it to an outboard mechanic and they will be able to quickly tell based on the wiring (or lack of). If you dont have one Im sure a Merc/Mariner dealer can supply you with an alternator/rectifier/regulator factory set up.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Good Morning Gary, Ken is right, if you have an electric start tiller handle Mariner it will be charging your battery when the outboard is running. If it is only a manual start outboard than Merc have a battery charging kit that is inexpensive and easy to fit to your outboard that will charge you battery.

We have fitted many of these kits and they work well at keeping your battery topped up. It does not have enough juice to charge a fully flat battery, but with the battery charging kit installed you should never see that.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks for the info guys,

it is a manual start motor and there is no wiring coming from the motor at all. I purchased the motor new about 3 years ago. There are 2 wires under the cover that just go no where, could this be part of this system.

Heuy, do you keep the part that i need in stock, might pick one up from you when i get the minn kota in a couple of weeks.

Thank Gary

Hi Gary, the battery charging kit is an order in part, takes about 3-4 days. The two wires you talk about, if they are the yellow and white ones from under the flywheel then they are from the stator and is what the battery charging kit plugs into to to allow you to connect your battery.

Cheers,

Huey.