Squid Prongs Not Jigs! Rig Help!

sanger

Hey guys the last few times we have been out and had live yakkas down a few have been demolished by squid or similar cephlapods. Im sure of this cause we have caught some of the big buggers but many have got off cause as soon as they see the boat they let go of our poor yakkas. These beasts have had no interest in our normal squid jigs that we try to feed them after they come up.

Ive had enough so i have bought myself some squid prongs as was wondering if anyone had any great ideas as to what sort of rigs to use them with. Now i dont plan on putting one of my live yakkas on the things but posibly a pilchard or two.

Also was wondering if anyone has used these land based with any success???

Thanks

I usually fish them about 1-2m under a float.

I'd recommend using a dead yakka than pilchards because they will stay on the jig longer.

You'll know you've got a squid when you see your float slowly sinking below the waters surface instead of bobbing above the waves.

Works pretty well off the rocks and at night.

Thanks guys. I have heard of people using them on patenosta rigs as well. But my main purpose is to send them back to the big brutes that come up on our yakkas!

Well maybe the yakkas that are a bit worse for wear at the end of a days fishing that used to get released will now go into the freezer for the squid prongs at a later date!

does anyone use these say under the spit for example instead of normal jigs????

Edited by fishlexic

fresh green prawns also work well

i remember i got a huge squid to the boat once, which held onto my whole pillie.

i lost the squid to the boat, but got my pilchard back. Instead of the normal blue green colors it came back white. The squid must of been sucking on it.

Edited by domza

they are worth their weight in gold!

I use them with salted pillies about 2 meters under a nice float.

work a treat!

Hey mate,

Is this rig you use when in a boat or land based????

Guest Big-Banana

If you're fishing deep water over 10m for squid such as in front of Barrenjoey where I've got them up to a couple of kilos. Use a large prong with a large fresh yakka. Put him on head first so that the prongs are next to his mouth and attach it too a paternoster rig. An Italian bloke goes out a few times a week and gets his limit doing this. Good kingy spot as well.

If you're fishing deep water over 10m for squid such as in front of Barrenjoey where I've got them up to a couple of kilos. Use a large prong with a large fresh yakka. Put him on head first so that the prongs are next to his mouth and attach it too a paternoster rig. An Italian bloke goes out a few times a week and gets his limit doing this. Good kingy spot as well.

Thanks mate!

Hey guys just as an update when i was out over the weekend i used my prongs for the first time at the quarentine bouy.... Had pillies on and the just got smashed by pickers so next time i will maybe either put some sort of stocking like fibre around them or try using some yellow tail or something a little firmer for bait as big bannana said!!!

Although i did manage my first squid of the rocks on friday with a normal jig so maybe ill try the float with the prongs there and see how they go!!!!!

Anyone else got some good ideas?????

Edited by fishlexic

Guest Big-Banana

Use the Yakkas :thumbup:

Just make sure they are put on head first and you'll catch much larger squid.

i sometimes float a pillie/yakka on a spike and squid jig around the float

the floating rig attracts the squid into an area where ur squid jigs are jigging

its usually alot easier to do at wharfs where there is less current

but thats only if ur really bored adn restless

ive caught squid from pillies on gangies and on live yakkas so in terms of bait they both are great

funny i had garries out one night but the squid preferred the yakkas(both where on a spike)

happy squidding

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys i havent had a chance to get out there for some squid due to the weather over the last few weeks but i did get out in the chocolate in middle harbour the other day and picked up two prong sized taylor which are now in the freezer, anyone used these before???