Overhead Reel For Beach Fishing

Red

G'day Raiders, can anyone suggest a good overhead casting reel for beachfishing? I'm thinking of having a go at a beach jew this winter and intend on using 20 or 30lb braid. Is that the go?

I've never beach fished in my life and looking forward to the experience.

Cheers

Red

Hi Red,

Apart from the already mentioned ABU 7000, another fantastic option is a Diawa SL30SHK or SL50 if you want something larger. They are the most popular HSS casting overhead, more popular than the shimano Speedmaster.

I owned a SL30 and i was able to cast a 2 oz snapper lead about 85-95m down at the local park after my first outing, No levelwind to sieze up and the graphite body doesnt corrode. you can also get them for around $135.

Hi Red

Wettingaline has a Abu7000LD for sale $140-, I've got one as well, nice reel. Haven't used it for HSS though would probably be a little slow but great for the beach.

Cheers

Evil

Hi. I got the 6500's. 7000 and 9000 red. 9000 the pick for casting. 10000 too wobbly on retrieve...

I'd go the 9000 for line capacity. and distance. 7000 otherwise.

If you have the money.. Best of all. Is the Daiwa Saltiga Surf..... Brilliant reel, and O/S Prices not too cruel...

Macka17

G'day Red.

I use a ABU 7000 & 10000. I have never had a problem with them & they have been flogged. I'd go the 7000. They are well priced & are one of the best casting reels around. Braid is certainly the way to go from the beach. It cuts down side drag in the white water & is great for getting the hook home.

Good luck in getting a thumper off the sand. It is a great experience & a different fight than any Jew you have caught elsewhere.

Cheers,

Grant.

Thanks guys, i've had almost every sized ABU from the 10000CL down to the 1500C

Thankfully i've held onto a 7000 :thumbup:

Heard good things about the Daiwa Sealines too but not overly keen on a high speed reel for the task.

Swordie, i'm very keen to beachfish with you but the little scallywags limit me to fishing weekends or late starts midweek.

Grant, i'm so excited at the prospect of nailing a good jew off the beach. I'm sure it will be a most satisfying and memorable event.

Regards

Red

The ABU 7000 is an excellent choice, but I don't know about using braid though. I have found it to be too unforgiving for distance casting with large overheads. You might be better off with braid backing and mono at the business end (ie top 100 or so meters).

Edited by billfisher

The abu 7000 is perfect for chasing jew on the beach. 30lb mono is all you will need as braid is awful from the beach particularly when chasing jew. Having no stretch in the system when trying to wash out a big jew is not a good thing. More importantly will be your choice of rod and the baits you intend to use. The 7000 is one of the easiest reels to cast but if you have a rod that is not suitable for the job then you may struggle to get your baits where you want them. Rods like the mt8144 will do the job but if you want to cast big head/slab or whole live baits with up to 6 or 8 oz of lead then you will have to look at a rod that is a little bit more special.

Cheers Shane.

The abu 7000 is perfect for chasing jew on the beach. 30lb mono is all you will need as braid is awful from the beach particularly when chasing jew. Having no stretch in the system when trying to wash out a big jew is not a good thing. More importantly will be your choice of rod and the baits you intend to use. The 7000 is one of the easiest reels to cast but if you have a rod that is not suitable for the job then you may struggle to get your baits where you want them. Rods like the mt8144 will do the job but if you want to cast big head/slab or whole live baits with up to 6 or 8 oz of lead then you will have to look at a rod that is a little bit more special.

Cheers Shane.

Hi. We used to fish Butters in the mouth (Murray) and along the beaches. FSU 5120. ABU 9000 Red. 20lb Maxima. Beached a fair few of the butters 20 to 70lb that we caught those days... Spinning. and Bait (Mullet slab.) fishing. Normally about 6/7 oz bait and lead. Or 4 oz Mr Twisters.(still one of the better ones. Single tail. Red. Flecked with silver.

Nowadays I'd say the Live Fibre Beach rod would be a goodie.for heavier. and I still reckon 9000 over 7ooo. It casts Better. and more line capacity. Braid backing 300ish. and topped with a good quality nylon, (I like Maxima) will give you more leeway when pulling through surf...

Best of all would be the Saltiga Surf. But $$$$$.

Personally I used to find that the 10,000 wobbled when winding in lures fast. 9000 better balanced.

Only what I found mind.

When Bait fishing at Salt Creek etc. I always took a Super Barra 7ft6in with ABU6500 and lures.

Can be boring, waiting for a bite.....Be surprised what you picked up..

Regards and enjoy. It's a great sport. Macka17