Shimano Exage

PM79

This is my first post, hello to everyone.

I was recently in need of some new reels and headed out to the tackle shop to check out some new reels and I came across this range.

They looked good on paper and felt great so I grabbed a 4000 & a 6000, I will be testing them out today @ The Hawksbury River.

Any thoughts on them? I'd never seen them before.

Features

- Floating shaft 2

- Varispeed

- Cold forged gear

- Power roller

- Aluminium cold forged spool

- Hypergear

- XT7 body

- Super Stopper II

- Dyna balance

- Biogrip

- Spare spool

EXAGE10000FA.jpg

Edited by reLapse

Thanks for the welcomes and the replies. :biggrin2:

I didn't get out on the water today so I have to wait for tomorrow. :ranting2::05:

I paid $140 for the 4000 (originally $190) and $170 (originally $220) for the 6000, they were marked down in a sale and most other shops I have seen them in has had them priced the same so hopefully I didn't get gutted in a price mark up.

I was eying off a Sustain and a Twinpower in the glass case but I needed two new reels and buying one wouldn't have done me much good.

I've got the 4000 on a 6'6 spin spooled with 4kg Maxima mono and the 6000 on a 8' general purpose spooled with 7kg Maxima mono.

I'm hoping to hook up to a nice little jewie, kingy (that should be off doing kingy things by now) or something that can give me a fight to test them out.

I'll report back with my success or failure, with photos.

Edited by reLapse

This is my first post, hello to everyone.

I was recently in need of some new reels and headed out to the tackle shop to check out some new reels and I came across this range.

They looked good on paper and felt great so I grabbed a 4000 & a 6000, I will be testing them out today @ The Hawksbury River.

Any thoughts on them? I'd never seen them before.

Features

- Floating shaft 2

- Varispeed

- Cold forged gear

- Power roller

- Aluminium cold forged spool

- Hypergear

- XT7 body

- Super Stopper II

- Dyna balance

- Biogrip

- Spare spool

EXAGE10000FA.jpg

I have one in the 2500 size, its been good to me ctaching many bream and flatties. I have though recently upgraded to Daiwa Sol. I think they are a model from England good value for money reel.

Edited by newatthegame

The more I look at them the Exage looks exactly like the Slade with a few changes and additions here and there.

I have though recently upgraded to Daiwa Sol.

I'll admit that I haven't used Daiwa for sometime, well except for my Interline Sealine-X rod with a Daiwa Sealine SL50SH overhead, but those Sol's are damn nice.

I think they are a model from England good value for money reel.

Oh really?

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Edited by reLapse

i hate my exage 1000!

sometimes when i close the bail my line would get caught outside the roller bearing. the problem is when you wind it up, you don't feel the line scraping until you look and realise all the line is wound outside the spool. unless you have a boat i wouldn't bother casting it out or else a bird nest will form. i've already lost half my line after 2 sessions. luckily its just fireline.

i hope you don't the same problem and catch many more fish...just warning you to be alert

the symetre is similarly priced and i think that would be a lot better.

yep they are uk model..check out shimano uk website

Edited by hottyscotty

sometimes when i close the bail my line would get caught outside the roller bearing. the problem is when you wind it up, you don't feel the line scraping until you look and realise all the line is wound outside the spool. unless you have a boat i wouldn't bother casting it out or else a bird nest will form. i've already lost half my line after 2 sessions. luckily its just fireline.

I haven't had that problem, they were casting fine yesterday under all kinds of sinker, sp and lure weights.

My backup spool has 4lb fireline on it and I didn't have problems with that either.