Commercial Licence

I'm curious to know what process is in place in gaining a commercial licence(not that i have any real intentions of going down that path).

I know theres a somewhat large price to pay for a licence, but thats about all that i know..I'd like to know things like:

What are the restrictions put in place ie (how close one can be fishing to the shore)?

They must abide by minimum length however what about bag limit, is there a specific quota per each species?

Thanks

DAN

Hello Dan,

In NSW to enter the commercial fishing industry you basically need to buy an existing fishing business. Each business will hold various entitlements in one or more fisheries. In estuary fishing for example there are about 15 separate entitlements. Most fishermen concentrate on two or three as the basis of their operations. Other fisheries such as trap and line work outside the estuary. All fisheries are subject to many, many rules and restrictions including closures relating to marine parks, fishing havens, reserves, seasonal closures, setting times and various gear restrictions. Size limits are the same as for everyone. Some species are subject to quotas or trip limits and many have no quotas but are controlled by the gear restrictions closures and various other restrictions.

Hope this helps.

Maniak

Edited by maniak