Time For New Baitcaster!

galvin

g'day raiders

The time has come the old baitcaster packed it in and its time to move on, i would like to treat my self a little this time so price is not a big issue but would like to stay with either shimano or dawia... what do you raiders recommend? what do you use? and what to stay clear off?

cheers livebait!! :1fishing1:

Edited by live bait!!

g'day raiders

The time has come the old baitcaster packed it in and its time to move on, i would like to treat my self a little this time so price is not a big issue but would like to stay with either shimano or dawia... what do you raiders recommend? what do you use? and what to stay clear off?

I love the daiwa baitcasters, i own the saltist HRF. Probably better for the salt use, but if your fishing in the fresh you have to check out the lite magnesium models like the fuego. The sol, alpha and pixy are also good little baitcater. Can't really go wrong with any quality daiwa gear. Never used a shimano baitcaster, if you have the cash to splurge check out the calais, i here they are awesome.

G'day Livey, i have a love affair with baitcasters and have sadly owned more than your average Joe :wacko: . Its almost impossible to recommend a reel without knowing both your target species and lure weights you will be casting? What rod is it going on? I'm currently using Daiwa Alphas, Zillion Shimano Scorpion and ABU. At this stage, the Alphas is the king and has the ability to cast light weights.

Cheers

Red

the Alphas is the king and has the ability to cast light weights.

Cheers

Red

If you want to use it in the salt I definately agree, I've owned and used the Alphas and loved it.

If it's only going to be used in the fresh you cannot go past the Steez, no other reel I've ever owned has come close to this baby, simply magic!!

Cheers, Allan

g'day red im looking at targeting jews, kings etc.. so i would be casting big plastics and hardbodies... love catching these species on bait casters.. thanks raiders on your knowledge of what baitcasters you all prefer, its good to here from the user and not the retailer sometimes...

p.s i will let you all no what i decide to go with..

Jews, kings etc etc ?

If that's the case then you should really look at the Daiwa Bluebacker as an option, I have one and it really is a gutsy reel for targeting larger fish near reefs.

Mine has performed flawlessly over the last 12 months and really is a dream to use.

Hopefully a site sponser can look after you on this reel, if they are daiwa tournament dealers.

Look at campells website to see the reel

Cheers, Allan

Edited by Flightmanager

Excellent recommendation there Allan. Livey, please disregard my suggested Alphas for that sort of work. I will be using mine for kings and jews but there are better reels for the job. If you have a preference for a low profile reel, take a peek at the Daiwa Zillion. It will throw those heavy lures a mile and has enough capacity and power to stop most fish you are likely to encounter. I used mine on kings with 20lb braid and it slayed the poor things. I've taken jews to 13kg on Chronarch's with no drama and a good mate has taken a beautiful 20kg fish on an old Daiwa Procaster. They're pretty good these days :thumbup: Let us know what you decide to go with.

Cheers

Red

• 2 weeks later...

Kingies etc.

Go the TDZ 252/300. They'll handle anything you throw at them.

Smaller... I have the SW 200 Also the Black Sheep 250/300. Use them on Barra in the dams mainly.

Been spooled a coupla times when out on the Big Spanno's. Just for a laugh. If you can stop that first run though. You'll get them to boat. Brilliant reels. Never killed one yet. Best drag ever. Out of box.

Check them out in a tackle shop. They a lot stronger than low line ones, with more capaity.

Macka17