Pilchard Fishers Back Ongoing Restrictions

mrmoshe

Pilchard fishers back ongoing restrictions

Pilchard fishermen on Western Australia's south coast have agreed to ongoing fishing restrictions to protect shearwater or mutton birds, even though they will not be able to fish at peak times.

The fishermen had trialled a ban on morning fishing in March and April, the time when the birds are active along the south coast.

The ongoing ban will mean pilchard fishermen will not catch the popular baitfish during the birds' feeding period from 4:30am AWST until 9:30am.

Fisherman Peter Westerberg says the fishermen understand what is at stake.

"As professional fishermen, without a good ecology or environment we haven't got a business, so basically we're all quoted, we catch way under the sustainable yield for a sardine fishery," he said.

Pilchard fishers back ongoing restrictions

Pilchard fishermen on Western Australia's south coast have agreed to ongoing fishing restrictions to protect shearwater or mutton birds, even though they will not be able to fish at peak times.

The fishermen had trialled a ban on morning fishing in March and April, the time when the birds are active along the south coast.

The ongoing ban will mean pilchard fishermen will not catch the popular baitfish during the birds' feeding period from 4:30am AWST until 9:30am.

Fisherman Peter Westerberg says the fishermen understand what is at stake.

"As professional fishermen, without a good ecology or environment we haven't got a business, so basically we're all quoted, we catch way under the sustainable yield for a sardine fishery," he said.

Hey MallocootaPete first of all congratulations on your 2000 posts :thumbup: It's been a great reading and a learning and I mean that. I reckon you deserve a big fat four page superannuation package too :yahoo:

Anyway as regards to what they are saying in this post, I feel that for both us and the mutton bird communities, all that's well and good, but who's speaking out on behalf of and protecting the numbers of the very loyal and dedicated fishing bait and cat food, our distant cousins, the pilchard families?.

regards

LittleJewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by little jewgaffer

As far as I'm concerned they can kill off the mutton birds!

I spent 45 minutes untangling 2 lines because of a dumbass bird that had to steal my bait.

It swallowed the hook which pierced it's throat and it bled to death on the surface.

I even had some fly off with the last 2 live slimies whilst I was busy up the front of the boat which was amazing because somehow the damn things managed to lift open the live bait tank.

They are a pest and should be dealt with accordingly in my opinion.

Edited by reLapse

As far as I'm concerned they can kill off the mutton birds!

I spent 45 minutes untangling 2 lines because of a dumbass bird that had to steal my bait.

It swallowed the hook which pierced it's throat and it bled to death on the surface.

I even had some fly off with the last 2 live slimies whilst I was busy up the front of the boat which was amazing because somehow the damn things managed to lift open the live bait tank.

They are a pest and should be dealt with accordingly in my opinion.

Hmmmmmmm....... :wacko:

I was even attacked by one when I pulled a fish into the boat!

It jumped on the fish when it hit the carpet, it opened it's wings, made an awful noise at me, then tried to peck my toes and shins and then proceeded to peck the fish.

It made friends with my life jacket :074: and it flew away.

Edited by reLapse

I was even attacked by one when I pulled a fish into the boat!

It jumped on the fish when it hit the carpet, it opened it's wings, made an awful noise at me, then tried to peck my toes and shins and then proceeded to peck the fish.

It made friends with my life jacket :074: and it flew away.

Are we talking about the same muttonbird? :1yikes:

jewgaffer :wacko:

As long as they looks like these little buggers then yep.

373187318_2bbddff2bb.jpg

I seem to have a gift where if I'm out fishing and there is a mutton bird within spitting distance it just happens to be one with an attitude and the biggest set of balls you've ever seen.

I see them at the back of other peoples boats making noise and trying to steal baits whilst I deal with ones that want to kill me, unlucky for them it's the other way around but luckily for them the most they will get from me is a bash over the head with a life jacket to scare them away.

Edited by reLapse