Raider Snapper!

wildfish

hi guys!

just bought a raider snapper. wasnt the nitro i wanted but i can always spend the few hundred extra later!

i have a shimano aernos xt 2000 on by bream combo, but ive had a few issues with braid bighting into itself and restricting castability. so ive been thinking ill just get a twin power and hopefully have no hassles! are they worth the money? what would you get? is 4000 the optimum size? or daiwa sol 3000? and would timberns capricorn 4500 be a viable option?

:biggrin2:

oh! yeah be targeting snapper and kings with it!

Edited by wildfish

yeah just noticed the retrieve speed is high to 6:1 compared to the twin power with 4.8:1, also a bit lighter as well. next consideration drag?

i actually thought that youd suggest a daiwa kingsrule! and i will check them out tomorrow for comparison!

thanks guys :thumbup:

sol 3000 is 2/3 the weight probably equal drag! but as you say ive just seen the price of the symetre and its 1/3 the price!

Edited by wildfish

G'day Wildfish, check out the Penn Affinity 4000. I can assure you that you will be suprised as i am. Picked one up myself for snapper on plastic. Great value, great drag, metal body and rotor....etc.

Cheers

Red

Edited by Red

guess i dont need speed to chase snapper & kings with plastics and poppers!

will the lower ratio give me an advantage in pulling power?

Yes it will.

Im not sure of the weight of your rod but I would go the Twin Power 4000 first, or Stradic if you dont mind a little extra "play" in the reel. The drag on the Symetre is not that great but still an ok reel.

Your going to be targeting kings and snapper which are quality fish so get a quality reel, thats my opinion.

too true roylo! :thumbup:

thanks red ill have a feel tomorrow!

also just noticed new stellas from usa at $400 including post! is that worth a look! or are they too attracted to the bottom of the ocean!

Edited by wildfish

too true roylo! :thumbup:

thanks red ill have a feel tomorrow!

also just noticed new stellas from usa at $400 including post! is that worth a look! or are they too attracted to the bottom of the ocean!

Look also at the Daiwa Capricorn 4500J. Great strong reel. Killer drag. Boosted up for Jigging, So it'll do lots. Goes for $270-300...

Macka17

yeah had a good think about it and was close to buying as we have 1 in swap n sell but its quite heavy compared to the other options, so still thinking!

You are right - the 4500J is too heavy for the Snapper Raider. More of a 30-40lb braid reel. Also, as it is designed for jigging, the narrow spool prevents it from casting well.

The OS Stella is not a bad option. You will not have warranty, but so what? Unless you suffer catastrophic reel failure, what does warranty cover you for anyway? You still need to pay for your regular reel service.

I doubt you will need that much drag on that rod but the twinpower is still a nice reel. Always depends on how much you want to spend. I have a certate and I chose that over a twinpower. Although the full Japanese twinpower PG and HG models look the goods. I am pretty sure they are different to what we get here.