Fishing The Sunny Uk Waters

luderick -angler

Hi all,

here it is the UK report, well afte travelling around doing all the sight seeingwith the better half and drinking too many fine real ales :beersmile: i got to the south for a spot of coarse fishing with the float.

The first day was spent on a couple of private lakes fishing for bream and carp, an early start saw masses of carp surface feeding and even though they are a pest back home they are a prized sport fish here, with nothing but a small centrepin and a 9ft stalking rod i was free lining bread on the surface seeing massive carp gulping floating bread and smashing me up in the weeds on 8lb line!

The second day was spent chasing sea trout in the avon river and even though we caught masses of little dace great fun on light line i broke my sea trout virginity with a nice 15 inch fish.

A very different way to fish but loads of fun.

Pics to follow when i get home.

Cheers

Royce.

Hi Royce.

Good for everyone to hear from you. I don't know whether you'll get this post over there, did you go to one of those computer cafes or something ?

Looks as though you're having a good holiday getting into some good fish over there.

I'll tell you how it's been over here.

The weather has gone cold, windy and wet again in Sydney and up and down the coast.

You haven't missed much at all and they have forecast rain and cold temperatures for another week or so.

I hope it's nothing like the freaky spring we had last year when the warm currents were about four months late and fishing very poor untill about two weeks after Christmas, and even then January was only middling and stayed that way. When I went away to SWR, Ballina and Bundaberg in January, even the locals were complaining about the lousy fishing over spring and summer.

Last October I went to Ballina for a few weeks and was invited to fish a couple of deep sea reefs and for jew with the pastor of the River City Church, also a keen fisherman. There wasn't one day safe enough to go out in the whole three weeks.

When the big northerlys stopped, bigger southerlys came in an hour after like clockwork every day. I couldn't believe what I was seeing!!

Royce, I'll keep my fingers crossed for some improvement in fishing over here, and when you get settled back home give me yell and we'll prepare for that marathon session.

Cheers, mate

Edited by jewgaffer

Thanks for the replies all,

it was a very neww experience chasing these fish as they are ten timesas wary as the spookiest bream, think of it this way a lake that gets bombarded with boilies all week anglers targeting these fish and well they soon wake up to it, its tough work on some of the fisheriess other days apparently its not! I got the tough days!

but to see a 46lb carp cruising the surface isan awesome sight they are such powerful looking fish in their home enviroment and i see why european anglers have respect for them, i was getting smashed on 10lb specimans, imagine what a 46er would do! and as for sea trout that was a buzz, and the bass that grabbed my dace at the boat! Mmmmmmmmmm could have been interesting. I mainly float fished but its so different to my float fishing but hell have i got some ideas for you guys on new blackie tactics when i get back!

Any way guys i'm off to Manchester and i'm back next Friday, hasbeen the best experience of my life!

Oh forgot to mention i prposed to my partner in front of the old Billingate fish markets on the River Thames........................she said yes!

Cheers

Royce. :beersmile:

Hi Royce

Congratulations on your impending Nuptuals!!! :thumbup::yahoo:

So glad you have been able to wet a line a few times whilst away! Chasing the sea trout in the Avon (Home of the AVon Royal??) would have been a real treat!! Well done on catching your 15" fish! That is huge. Hope you have lots of photos to post when you return! As you say, some of those rivers & lakes would take a pounding & each fish has probably been caught 20 times already!!

What fishing is around Manchester???

Some great blackies around just now - big fish! Look forward to hearing your latest tips & tricks from Old Blighty! Bet you've got a few more reels & floats & gear too!! Were you able to get your Avon Royal repaired?? Hope so.

Cheers for now

Roberta

Well done Royce... wished I could be there with you enjoying the pleasantries of a UK fishing day out! It is certainly is a different experience to fishing here in OZ.

I don't know what it is but the Poms just have a passion/obsession for all things wet and slimy... even the good old CARP!!!

Enjoy and stay off the real ales!!!

Cheers

GARN

PS. You'll be doing alot less fishin' now that your a betrothed man!!!

Thanks guys,

no its okay the the fiance has taken a like to luderick angling and she loves the outdoors plus i am requested to bring a feed of fresh blackies every time i go out so i can't fault her there!

Roberta,no had no time to send the reel off for repairs but i did pick up another nice 4 inch trudex and a beaut 12 ft split cane float rod which isin perfect nick except for the rings so i'll be fixing that one up when i get back! Check out this website www.vintagetackle.net its Graham's vintage tackle and he has the most awesome pin collection this is the man i had the pleasure to fish with and i was even more fortunate to handle some of these rare reels, yes i had centre pin envy oh if only!

Yes they love their angling over here and its awesome i probably could spend 12 months fishing their waters for all things scaly, you should check out the pike fishing these are one mean fish and the barbel in the fast waters what a fish!

Cheers

Royce.

Hi Royce

Glad you were able to feed your addiction whilst away!! The cane rod - is it an antique or new? On '3 men in a boat' it showed a bloke using one he had made himself & said it was worth 1600 Pounds!!! That is ocer $4,000!

Bet you took lots of pics of the reels!!!

Cheerio

Roberta