Sydney Harbour - 16th September

daleyboy

I new what kind of day it was going to be when, after launching the boat (drummoyne @ 5am), i realise ive left me sunnies at home ... Great!

Anyway, I soldier on as we had 4 boats in total out on the water and head for the first stop, the red marker at goat island. Had a few flicks with a 9" flick bait for no good so i decide i'll drop a bait down. Rigged up the frozen slimy on a paternoster witha sliding two hook rig and dropped it down. Few more casts of SP and no good so i start up the motor to give the slimey a lil putt around the marker .. almost instantly i see a hit, didnt hook up, but he did about 10 secs later. I grab the rod (new 10kg outfit with 50lb braid) and this thing just goes, never felt a pull like this in the harbour b4 .. finally im onto my first big king (or so i thought). Well as im sitting right next the marker i decide im gonna need some room to play with this boy, stick the motor in reverse and start putting away, at this stage the fish has calmed down and not taking anymore line .. so i get meself about 10M clear of the marker and decide lets go, i give it the first lift to start the fight and bang off he goes again ... and out come the hooks ... arrrghh :mad3:

And wouldn't ya know i was out there till midday and came home empty handed.

Tried a bit mroe at goat island for nothing else, next tried taronga for some squid, where skunga picked up a nice small one, but that was it.

Headed up into middle harbour and tried anchoring and berleying for nothing, moved to watsons and tried the same to get swamped by tiny snapper, so we moved to 3 posts near rose bay, again nothing.

About this time Skunga finds that he has a spair pair of sunnies in his boat .. halleljuliah i think .. that is until he throws them in the drink trying to throw them boat to boat ..... need i say more!

I then tried flicking some 5" nuclear chicken gulps at the reef markers just behind the island in rose bay, and it got smashed up by long toms .. (so at least i could replace the frozen slimeys) put two long toms in the bait well and went back to goat island ... for nothing ... then it was home

Better to have hooked and lost than never hooked at all.

Mate i would think you lost a jewie not a kingie.

Never had a kingie that calmed down but have had jews that have stopped fighting for awhile after the first big run.

Either way a run like that is a good rush.

Cheers