Choke Issues

Red

Hi raiders, my 2 stroke 01 model 90hp Johnson has developed what appears to be a choke issue and cold starts are no longer a breeze :thumbdown: The solenoid is making a clicking sound when the choke button is depressed. The motor runs beautifully and warm starts are instant. Any ideas as to what can be going on here?

Cheers

Red

Hi Red, you will have to confirm that the choke primer is not functioning, but from your desciption of events it sounds like it could be faulty. No big deal becasue they are easy to replace and cost $120 with the "Raider" discount. If you have access to a voltmeter test that there is 12 volts going to the primer when the key is pressed in. If that is the case then replace the choke primer and you should be good to go.

If you have any questions please ask and I will see if I can help you out,

Cheers,

Huey.

Huey, thanks so much for your reply. I will have a go at doing the tests this weekend and get back to you. Just to confirm, is choke primer the unit with the red plastic flag? If so, should it be pointing up or down?

Best regards

Red

Hi Red, yes the choke primer has the red valve on it, which is your manual choke and a place to install power tune (if it is the later style). The valve should be pointing down along the primer, which if it was not than the engine would run rich and not run well at all.

Let us know what you find,

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks again Huey. You have been most helpful. The red valve was indeed pointing down. My motor does have the valve you speak of and has a grey cap screwed onto it.

Now just got to conduct the voltmeter test. Will let you know how it goes.

Kind regards

Red

G'day Huey, had a play with the outboard over the weekend and it seems to be a little better now but still not perfect. You know how when you're travelling along and you accidentally bump the key and activate the choke primer, the motor would usually stall without warning? Well, its not doing it now, however when you manually turn the choke valve off, the engine shuts down immediately at idle.

Are these primer units adjustable in any way? It seems to be priming but not quite enough. Its only a problem with cold starts and not a huge problem really but i can't live with it anymore :wacko:

Regards

Red

Hi Red, no they are not adjustable, either the primer is on and chokes the outboard or it is off. The valve may be leaking so see if that is the case or just replace it if you suspect the primer is at fault.

Cheers,

Huey.