Would A 395 Be Ok To Take Into Sydney Waters To Catch Kingies?

locodave

Hey mate,

We are blocked from ebay at work so i cant see the pics of the boat but i have plenty of mates that take tinnies that size round north head, you just have to be very aware of the weather conditions. Having said that though im yet to catch a king round north head so there are plenty of other options round the harbour when there is a bit of swell or to much wind!!!!!

There are plenty of guys out the front in tho's sorts of boats on the right days.

I use to fish out of a 435 hornet all the time out there spinning the washes. Just make sure you fit a good bilge pump with a auto switch for the times you cop a wave over the front!

I now fish out of a full blown bass boat that sit's even lower than the hornet did. I still go, it's a little wetter but still feel totally safe.

Work your way into it slowly and you will be fine. No fish is worth your life remember!

Greg

Mate your boat will do fine out there. My boat is slightly bigger and ive been as far as 20km offshore!

If your a bit concerned about heading out there, there are plenty of kings to be had around the markers scattered all over sydney harbour, particularly middle harbour.

Pick your days and monitor the weather.

DAN

The scariest wave in Sydney harbour is the 1m+ ones that come off the ocean going tugs when they are rushing to get to the heads. They come in sets of three.

These waves are so powerful and I wonder if others have had the same feeling when coming across them. If and when you come across them make sure you turn the bow towards them and motor back through and hang on.

Hi people,

Just wondering if a boat this size:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2003-STACER-ALUMINI...1QQcmdZViewItem

Will be ok to take into Sydney Heads and catch some kingies, or is it too small??

I'm loving your whole boat buying saga Locodave! More twists than an Agatha Christie novel. It's better than if I was getting a new boat myself.......oh, hang on, I might be!! :074:

Have the identical boat but with a quintrex label on it. I regularly take it to and out the heads in sydney harbour and have never had an issue. As the others have said, you just pick your days. Don't think i miss many opportunities to go out because the days that are not safe in mine would not be comfortable in a bigger boat.

hey mate that boat you show us is a 4.2 meter boat, and yes it would be to go out fishing sydney harbour, i took my 4.2 dory outside bate_bay all the time and have no touble so it would not be much different from bate bay to sydney harbour,

'

hope this hope, :thumbup:

cheers,

Hi Dave, the boat in the link seems to the Stacer 420 Seahorse and that boat would be fine for all but the worst days in the harbour. They are a nice deep, beamy boat and with the 30HP on the back it would perform well.

Not a bad price either,

Cheers,

Huey.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aussie007
The scariest wave in Sydney harbour is the 1m+ ones that come off the ocean going tugs when they are rushing to get to the heads. They come in sets of three.

These waves are so powerful and I wonder if others have had the same feeling when coming across them. If and when you come across them make sure you turn the bow towards them and motor back through and hang on.

we were in botany bay one time in a 9 foot tinny when a tug boat wave hit us did i s#&$ my self or what! now every time i go out im packing s%#* from any ferry/tug boat waves