Got A New "turning Point" Prop Today From Huett Marine

jewgaffer

Hi Everyone.

Found a top generic prop to suit my Mercury from Huett Marine :thumbup: It's the real Mcoy this one. Rang Huey just making an enquiry about generic props because I have been caught by surprise and have been damaging props going out and coming in to boat ramps.

Huey told me that Turning Point props are all aluminium high quality U.S. designed and Turning Point generic props are as good as it gets. He told me that if I damage a blade I only have to replace one section of the prop rather than the whole prop.

I was very happy to hear the Fishraider member price was about half the price of a factory prop for my Merc and I had gone through two props this year.

Thought I'd let you know that I received the prop this afternoon after only speaking to Huett Marine about delivery yesterday.

The new prop came by courier today all the way to Campbelltown for only $10 delivery!

I would like to thank Huey for taking the time to consider all the factors and recommend a lower pitch size prop for better performance than the the factory supplied prop for my Mustang Centre Console.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Everyone.

Found a top generic prop to suit my Mercury from Huett Marine :thumbup: It's the real Mcoy this one. Rang Huey just making an enquiry about generic props because I have been caught by surprise and have been damaging props going out and coming in to boat ramps.

Huey told me that Turning Point props are all aluminium high quality U.S. designed and Turning Point generic props are as good as it gets. He told me that if I damage a blade I only have to replace one section of the prop rather than the whole prop.

I was very happy to hear the Fishraider member price was about half the price of a factory prop for my Merc and I had gone through two props this year.

Thought I'd let you know that I received the prop this afternoon after only speaking to Huett Marine about delivery yesterday.

The new prop came by courier today all the way to Campbelltown for only $10 delivery!

I would like to thank Huey for taking the time to consider all the factors and recommend a lower pitch size prop for better performance than the the factory supplied prop for my Mustang Centre Console.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

The next question is can these also fit yamaha motors. Over to you Huey.

Edited by johnno

Hi Byran, no problem mate, but the prop does not have replacable blades, what it does have is a prop hub that can be purchased separately and does not require the prop to be re-bushed like genuie props do if you hit something that will cause a slipping hub.

I think you should see better perform with this prop.

We see it all the time where dealers fit any old prop to a boat combo and then the performance suffers. The right pitched prop can make all the difference to how a boat performs and you really should have the outboard propped so that the WOT RPM is at the upper level of the recommended RPM range and that cgoes for any brand or technology of outboard.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hey huey,

Quick one for you...........

Have a Quintrex 530 spirit, with 90 yamaha 2 stroke standard prop.

not real happy with speed of boat a 4200-4600 rpms @ 24-26 knots..(Could be a bit off the mark with this but you know what im talking about) will check that next time out but not much off.

do you have any option for better prof.. boat gets out of water with 4 people no problem...

looking more for better top end speed or better allround proformance

Any help will be much appriciated

Kind regards mark

Hey huey,

Quick one for you...........

Have a Quintrex 530 spirit, with 90 yamaha 2 stroke standard prop.

not real happy with speed of boat a 4200-4600 rpms @ 24-26 knots..(Could be a bit off the mark with this but you know what im talking about) will check that next time out but not much off.

do you have any option for better prof.. boat gets out of water with 4 people no problem...

looking more for better top end speed or better allround proformance

Any help will be much appriciated

Kind regards mark

Woody I had the same prob on my Allycraft I went from a 4500 on my genuine prop to 5200 max rev by changing the prop size/ pitch and height of the outboard also picked up a extra 10km

Hi Mark, the Turning point range of props suit any brand of outboard. If you are only seeing 4600RPM at WOT than you are way overproped and the dealer should really be shot. There is not such thing as a STD prop, because the manufacturers do not know what type and size of boat the outboard is going on, so it is up to the dealer to rig the right prop. You need your WOT RPM to be more like 5500RPM with a normal load and you will see better performance.

Next time you go out, check and make sure what your max RPM is and give me a call with the pitch of the prop you have now and I will see what I can do.

Cheers,

Huey.

Good Morning Mark, as mentioned in the PM, you really need to change your prop before you damage your outboard becuase you are way over propped being only able to get 4600RPM at WOT. If you can stretch it the 15 inch SST would be ideal for your rig.

Cheers,

Huey.

Good Morning Mark, as mentioned in the PM, you really need to change your prop before you damage your outboard becuase you are way over propped being only able to get 4600RPM at WOT. If you can stretch it the 15 inch SST would be ideal for your rig.

Cheers,

Huey.

Huey

What would you say is the ideal rev range for the 90hp yamaha?I was told 5500rpm

Mine does 4900-5k flat @26knots (49kmh) loaded with gear & 2 adults 3 kids (280-300kgs), I mentioned this with the dealer and he seemed to think 5k is okay and didnt think it was worth chasing the extra 500 rpms. It runs a 17p Stainless prop, I do have another 17P stainless prop that seems to have a little more cupping (I think thats what it is called) to the blades i could try, or wuld i be better of trying a 15p?

Edited by achjimmy

Hi Jimmy, your ideal WOT RPM should be closer to 5500 than where it is now. I think your dealer just does not want to help you out. I would try your other prop and see what the difference is, but you want to be more around the 5300-5500 with your boat loaded.

Let us know what happens with the other prop, you might have to look at a 15 inch if the revs do not change much.

Cheers,

Huey.

Gidday Huey,

At the moment im waiting on some one who might have a 13.5 & 15 pitch prop so i can test them out.

When you talk size of prop you dont mention diameter, is this not as important or should i consider diameter as well??

The 2 prop you mention do they have the same diameter or not. Just asking cause i have heard people say the diameter makes a difference and if it does can you elaberate.

My current prop is 13.5x17

Thanx

Mark

Edited by woody