Fishing With The Neighbour's Kids

arpie

Hi guys

The grandkids are up next door for the holidays & I know they like to have a fish, so I asked if they wanted to go down today & have a go along Little St. I was also hoping to get into a couple of blackies (as Grand Dad Hal really enjoyed the smoked blackies I took over last night!)

Michelle & Mark brought Madison & Luke along & I took 4 rods rigged up with floats, so they didn't snag up. I took plenty of bread squares along, hoping for some mullet or bream to jump on the hooks. It was very windy tho & you couldn't see many fish around (other than tiny bait pinchers!)

The kids got into it with gusto, as did Michelle & Mark. Lots of bites & 'downs' but not many hookups ....... only one, as it turned out! Michelle caught it - a pretty striped thing that would look great in an aquarium.

The guy fishing next to us was using small live whitebait (caught in the creek right next to us) and hooked onto a nice looking flattie! He tried to lift it up onto the ground without a net & you guessed it - it fell off! Darn!! If only he'd noticed that I had a good long net right there!

Mark & I tried valiantly for blackies whilst the kids & Michelle tried for mullet & bream. No joy for any of us on our chosen targets! Better luck next time!

We had a great time of high expectation - hoping to catch a fish or three, but it was not to be!! Shame! We all put in well over an hour of fishing - even I resorted to using some of the bread bait .... I think the kids ate more than they put on the hook!! Nice & fresh, it tasted good, too! Ooooops!

Michelle & Mark were really happy at not having to replace hooks & sinkers & are keen to give it another go when they come up again at Xmas!

post-2231-1192264824_thumb.jpg

Greendog & I will try again on Monday morning!!

Cheerio for now

Roberta

Hey Roberta,

Good to hear that the kids had a great time, and it really looks like they enjoyed themselves, but a pity that the fish didn't want to play the game. Its great to encourage them at a young age and nurture the interest.

Better luck next time and good luck during the week with the fishing, hopefully you will have more luck.

Cheers

Mrs Flightmanager

Guest MRS WATTO

Hi Roberta

Better luck next time and good luck during the week with the fishing, hopefully you will have more luck.

At least the kids had a ball

Hi guys

I think we have a couple of new Fishraiders in the making .....

Thanks for the replies - I really reckon float fishing is the best way to get kids into fishing - they have something to watch (the float) & are not continually getting snagged (as happens with normal running sinker rigs.) I tie a bit of thicker line onto the main line above the float (just using a unit knot) & when snugged up, it becomes the float stopper & they can adjust the depth they fish at. Bread bait will usually catch something!! I use a rolling pin to totally flatten the bread (remove crusts first & keep as burley) then cut each slice into about 8 strips, turn it around & do the same the other way - you get over 50 little square baits from each slice of bread. The 2 slices did us for the whole trip! To encourage the bread to stay on the hook even better, I squeeze each little square in half (tightly) and then do it again, so the whole bait is only about a 5mm compressed square. Then put the hook thru it once.

I chew on some of the bread (you are not supposed to swallow it tho ....) & then toss the small wet bits in (so it sinks & beats the seagulls) & that would create a small feeding frenzy. Then you toss the baited float in & hope they jump on!

We were probably there for a good couple of hours, I reckon & not once did the kids (or Mum & Dad) get bored! It was terrific fun & I look forward to our next outing at the end of the year.

Cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

:1worthy: Roberta once again you show what a generous person

you are to not only organise the day but supply everything to make

it a great outing despite not producing any :fish_h4h: of worth

You represent all that's good in the fishing community :thumbup:

Chris

:1worthy: Roberta once again you show what a generous person

you are to not only organise the day but supply everything to make

it a great outing despite not producing any :fish_h4h: of worth

You represent all that's good in the fishing community :thumbup:

Chris

Well said Chris, and very true. The fishing community needs more ambassadors like you Roberta, well done. :biggrinthumb:

Geoff