Boat Accident Capt Cooks Bridge

mrmoshe

One dead in Sans Souci boating crash

One person is dead and another is in hospital after a boating accident on the Georges River at Sans Souci in Sydney's south.

It's believed a five-metre runabout hit the pylon of the Captain Cook Bridge just after midnight, ignited and sank a short time later.

Passers-by called police.

A body was found at the scene and a 37-year-old man was taken to hospital with serious injuries.

Rescue crews will try to salvage the boat later on Sunday morning.

Any witnesses are asked to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

I lost a good work mate (Rod Gillard) in a boating accident a few years back.

This post brings back memories of my mate Rod, and makes one think, just how we so often take our short lives for granted.

This is terrible news, and I urge all to take care when out and about.

My sympathies to all concerned.

G'day Raiders, :(

Sad to see another fatality on our waterways. Be careful out there lads and set a good example for others to follow. With boating becoming more popular we need to get a more safe boating message out there. I dont feel safe out there,especially Georges River , Botany Bay where I like to fish. I have already lost my boat and gear because of another persons negligence. Please slow down and follow waterways rules.

Safe Boating Raiders

Cheers BART :1fishing1:

Sadly , its not only in the Georges , we witnessed similar bad boating behaviour on The Nepean , and also in Sydney Harbour and Parramatta River this weeekend. It would appear that the " No Wash" and "Speed limit in Direction Indicated " boards mean nothing to an alarming number of boat operators. Not to mention the speed restriction when travelling closer to ANYTHING within 10 metres!

During the APEC conference , both Maritime and the Water Police were very much in evidence , and guess what , everybody was playing by the rules !

If its good enough for the pollies to have a safe , well policed harbour to enjoy , why not us????

End of Rant.

Ross

My condolences to both families.

There are a lot of hoons on the water no matter how big or small a boat they have.

Flying through a bridge at night or dusk is just wrong.

Incident

I saw these guys heading west past Como bridge in a 150 HP speed boat. The sun was setting and rendered you blind with the reflection off the water. It didn't stop these guys ......... well not for long they ended up beached about 10m from the waters edge on sand ....it was low tide I forgot to mention. They looked embarressed as all the other boaters they passed went by.

No amount of policing can stop unthinking behaviour.

I don't want to open up a can of worms here but seen as there are cameras everywhere these days maybe they may be of some use (during day light hours) to weed out some of these hoons.

Not taking away from what has happened here it is a sad event and my condolences go to all involed.

I don't know this stretch of water and i don't want to jump to any conclusion about just how accidental this crash was.

Lata Raidas

Stay safe

Waynie

I don't want to open up a can of worms here but seen as there are cameras everywhere these days maybe they may be of some use (during day light hours) to weed out some of these hoons.

Not taking away from what has happened here it is a sad event and my condolences go to all involed.

I don't know this stretch of water and i don't want to jump to any conclusion about just how accidental this crash was.

Lata Raidas

Stay safe

Waynie

There is 2 cameras on the water now ( not saying where) and I'm sure a test case won't be far away. Can only hope they pick up the thieves as well. Best I can suggest is get the phone out and video the stupidity as it is happening as the Authorities have enormous trouble in actually getting anything to stick so lower level ticket is normally written if anything. Speed on the water and where in the channel the boat is is hard with only one camera angle.

It's a hard call as we all own different size boats and I use everything fom a kayak upwards to a 1m solid swell maker so I see all sides. Basically when in the smaller craft I consider myself vunerable and take extra care and try and avoid areas where boats of larger size will go and go fast. I try and show courtesy in the bigger vessel but ....and a big but when I see people in very small boats not keeping watch , in channels with reasonable current I am not going to slow to a dead stop and loose steerage and put my boat at risk when bluntly they are idiots in the wrong vessel in the wrong spot to start with. Sure I slow down but drawing a reasonable amount of water some options are limited and some blokes just don't get it. To watch a guy kayak fishing at Abbotsford on the weekend continually going to the middle of the channel and then retreating changing direction constantly from the rivercats or pleasurecraft was watching a accident waiting to happen with the sun so low. The bloke persisted unlit after sunset and probably didn't understand the avoiding action everyone was having to take. Well the ones that even saw him.

Before the boat show we were unfortunate enough to be on the water at Clarke island when a 50 footer doing 30 plus knots was run in circles round and round to get a nice photo from the helicopter and we saw waterways standby and watch as a sailing fleet with no wind was buffetted by a huge wash and several small tinnies were near capsized. Makes you wonder- I got the nice photos from the brochure at the boat show and they has photoshopped out the chaos they created but were still proudly showing the video. Could anyone justify a 50 foter on a Sat arvo doing that speed in circles on a busy harbour?? Hope it wasn't a demo to the wally that'll buy it.

We don't need more rules or fines we need more common sense and that goes for the Authorities as well, as it isn't all about waterfront marine facilities. They really need to indicate whether the speed limit is there for wash or safety as I get the sh##its runnng nose up with a big bow wave at 8 knots when running at 15 knots my wake is minimal especially at night when no one else is around. With a glass screen , wipers etc we have made our boat much easier to see out of in all conditions. We now have a harbour where there is so many waterside developments lit up it is hard to see navigation marks and near impossible to see stationary craft and yet they still allow more lights on the waters edge.

No matter what happened at the Georges it is sad and I hope we hear the truth down the track.

EDIT

Quotes added

[MOD]

Edited by pelican