New Experience Of Nepean Bass

johnno

post-256-1193483851_thumb.jpg

Hi all

Sorry long post

Seeing as I have never been fishing for Australin Bass before, Stewy (swordfisherman) Offered to take me :thumbup: .

Got to the ramp at 4.30 and set the gear up.I was a little excited as I was breaking in a new reel and rod.

We hit the water at 5am at the ramp near M4 with a crisp chill in the air I grabbed a second jacket,for the run to our first location. After just passing the 4knot rocky section ,I grabbed a rod and warmed up the arm with a few casts, firing out around the weeds and rocks for a quick warm up. Using a surface lure (type unsure),Which I needed a warm up from not fishing since 28th JAN.The first few casts not just there yet ,But great to be back into it again.

We motored on further down and dropped the leccy then grabbed the rods with the spinnerbaits all set to go.

With Stewy giving me a few pointers and the water as flat as a pancake,we fired our first casts.After around an hour of casting stewy gets the first bass not great but first for the day and good signs then Stewy gets his second not long after. I was a little despondent that i was doing something wrong.With probably 100 casts out of the way now it felt good i thought a little about where to cast approx another 20 casts BANG First ever AU Bass hooked and landed using a tt spinnerbait gold blade using a slider grub on 1/8 jig head.

Now with that one out of the way and my spirits picked up we continued casting. I have to say the new Daiwa Freams kix with new 6lb braid was a pleasure to use.Not one line twist even with the spool close to overful.

Continued i got my second a micro bass (fits into the palm of hand). :yahoo: This is getting addictive.Then the Bite quietens with about an hour or so passing with us working hard along the banks. Stewy is on again

then again and again.I wasn,t really hitting the mark yet then decided if i hung some lures up in trees or snags oh well. so i fire one into the base of the rocks.Stewy comments Thats the spot as soon as i lifted and wound 1/2 turn Bang im on again landed new PB 31cm.

with the wind picking up we continued and a few more fish being landed .With the weed getting thick we changed sides and worked the banks and trees (getting hung up with a few )but never lost spinnerbaits yet :biggrin2: I here yep then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ohhhhhhh. Stewy got nailed by a great fish and ripped the clip open on the spinner bait. :05:.Stewy was using atomic fat grubs on the spinnerbait also which i had changed too clear with specs. Good fish but not landed we then found a patch of bass and worked hard which i hooked up and landed another PB 33cm. with some others ranging around 25-34cm.With the wind picking up again. We trying some vibes out but we lucked out so we called it a day.We come across Pukka (another member) who informed us the Wind was not helping him either.

We motored towards the ramp and noticed the wind died down, Now with 500 casts in the bank i got really keen and decided to get in under trees holes every where i could try to hit which didn,t really pay off i was hooked up alright in the trees :074: We changed sides and found a really tree snagged area, Well i decided i would get smart and cast just over the back of a submerged branch with branches all in and around it.Which i thought i might entice a Bass out and hoping to get the spinner over the branch first but i got nailed in that nasty snag.Thinking no you don,t i was going to pole him out i ripped him as hard as i could which pulled him 360 degrees back around the branch and over the first branch to have the jig head come off the spinner bait.I re rigged and which we pulled about 7-8 fish out .and dropping another 6.

All in all had a great day

and Thanks Stewy for inviting me champ

post-2305-1193483037_thumb.jpg

post-256-1193483747_thumb.jpg

post-256-1193483758_thumb.jpg

post-256-1193483779_thumb.jpg

post-256-1193483790_thumb.jpg

post-256-1193483815_thumb.jpg

post-256-1193483826_thumb.jpg

post-256-1193483839_thumb.jpg

post-256-1193483851_thumb.jpg

Edited by johnno

Well done on getting your first australian bass johnno. :thumbup:

I still remember my first,it came from a secret spot :tease: in my local area. I was fishing a shallow diver from the bank and actually saw the fish follow it and then just hammer the lure from below. I was hooked on them from that day on.

well done

Stephen

:1fishing1:

Congrats on your first Bass, Johnno! The thrill you experienced in this terrific style of fishing was evident in your report. :thumbup:

Top photos as well.

Ah Stewy, you sly devil, you weren't mowing lawns after all! :074: You're name is appearing on a lot of bass posts at the moment ... :1worthy::1worthy:

Great report fellas!

Hodgey