Damm Mutton Birds

fishmad

Hi guys , me and a mate of mine decided to head out and chase some snapper after seing some of the quality fish that were caught last week , how could you not want a part of the action .

Anyway the conditions were perfect a nice N/W turning N/E later and a north - south current was perfect for fishing down a trail and the perfect amount of run , great fresh baits everything was as per plan . It was one of those days were you expected the fish instead of hopeing .

Cut a long story short we started fishing and getting a trail going when as of a sudden about 20 muttons started landing near us and swiming up towards the back of the boat and chasing every single bit of berly every cube every bait every thing that hit the water they were after it . and diving up to around 20 feet to get it .

We could NOT get a bait down or establish a consistent trail we would have to trow a hand full of cubes to the left and drop a bait next to the side wall of the boat and hope that it sunk deep enough before they spotted it .

It was a living night mare we had to battle against them non stop !!

anyway we ended up with 6 snapper when we got our baits down up to 2.5 kg which still isnt bad and they tasted great on the bbq last night so i guess it wasnt that bad in the end

Does anyone else ever have this problem ? and if so how do they avoid it ??

Please help

Regards Mark

Mate,seen this before big time off Trawleys,one time couldnt even get a bait down at all,we had them flying into the boat was like the movie "The Birds",as it happens gave up and came back into to the hawksbury and nailed a 18kg Jew so that stopped our complaining in the end.

Cheers

Reg

Does anyone else ever have this problem ? and if so how do they avoid it ??

Please help

Regards Mark

Mark......

have not reverted to this practice for quite a while ......

but when mutton ducks (thats what i call them)

were to be come a problem we use to ....

1. first drop a burley bomb on the bottom to get the smell going

2. we use to carry a length of 100 mm pvc sewer pipe 2.4 long we use to tie it up on

the back of the boat with occy straps and disperse our pilchard trail down the pipe it seem that if the

trail started 2.4 down to start at......... they simply overlooked it

3. the theory of 2 litres of vegetable oil mixed with a little tuna oil and dispersed as

a slick behind the boat helps to stop them sitting there....for they just dont like the feel or the taste on there feathers which gives time for the bait to get down we use this method a lot when cubing for y/fin

only downside it can attract sharks....although in this case that might be good so it eats the birds. :thumbup:

hope thats helpfull in part some way.....

Cheers Warnie....

sorry cfd posted just after yours we think alike.......

Edited by ungry warnie

A good eye accompanied with an air gun or bb gun could see them off as well...you end up with a bit more berley as well...

Although an effective method, if caught by the :busted_cop:

you will be in a spot of trouble.

penguin

Edited by penguin

thanks for your input guys .

warnie & crazedfisherdude I love the idea of pipe fantastic . the other day tough they were diving way more than 2.4 mtrs though .

i could i theory have the pipe as long as need i guess . the only temporary solution was we tield up a mince block in a keepers net about 30 ft from the back of the boat which kept them away for a while . as it defrosted they still attacked it .

Frank p We were fishing on saturday at boultons

Damm birds

thanks for your input guys .

warnie & crazedfisherdude I love the idea of pipe fantastic . the other day tough they were diving way more than 2.4 mtrs though .

i could i theory have the pipe as long as need i guess . the only temporary solution was we tield up a mince block in a keepers net about 30 ft from the back of the boat which kept them away for a while . as it defrosted they still attacked it .

Frank p We were fishing on saturday at boultons

Damm birds

For sure they are persistant little buggers.......

the secret is no bait what so ever on the surface of the water even when you discard

the remnants of your hook leave it on board dont throw it overboard when its dispersed deep

for some reason they just put there heads in the water and look but dont act.....as soon

as they get the taste though there competative nature kicks in and they all get sparked up

and just hang around.....what i have just said combined if necessary with the oil as suggested just's mellows them right down to a wimper...

try it!!!!!!!

what you did in effect was to still keep them interested enough in hanging around and not to move on....

Cheers Warnie....

On Sunday we were plagued by the little buggers just south of The Heads. We inevitably hooked one and that seemed to make them less persistent. Since we were drifting and not putting out berley, they were not impossible - more of a nuisance than anything else. I'll put up with the birds as a trade off for getting rid of the line snipping jackets that at long last were barely in evidence . Now that they seem to have gone south, the reef fishing will be much less frustrating. And the lazy flatties will have a fair go at the baits.

Guest Big-Banana

Always got a chilli in the boat for when this happens, feed one out, once one starts struggling you'll find the pack goes away.