Barrier Reef Fishing

Wammo

Guys - heading up to the Barrier Reef :1prop: in a few weeks camping for a week in the National Park on the islands near Herron Island. Anyone got any tips on the fishing in that area. E.g. baits (noting minimal refrigeration), lures etc. Keen to chase a few surface fish but also go for the coral trout??

when are you there? I'll be on heron from 20th til 27th of november for uni and I'm trying to work out how to get a fishing trip in :P

A lot of the area around the island is marine park sanctuary zone, so be careful where you wet a line. You can get maps here: http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/corp_site/managem...oning_maps.html they will show you where you can go.

I was planning on taking a charter if possible.

Hi Wammo

Sounds like it's gunna be a good trip.

Lures I would take are some metals like raiders to cast at surface fish. Some deep divers like CD9's and Crazy deeps in a range of depths that your tackle can hold(upto the big 8m diver) and a few poppers like the roosters.

If you have a bream rod loaded with braid, make sure you take some smaller plastics for flats fishing. Simple patterns like bass minnows work a treat on tho's trevas.

Good luck

Greg

Which island are you staying on?

If its Masthead Northwest or Wilson I will give you some tips on fishing around them

Greg is right you can have some awesome fun on light gear but I would be useing something rated 3-5kg

Greg - mate we are staying on Northwest Island. I am a huge fishing nut but mostly based off Rocks in NSW. Thinking of taking up a tinny and a kayak. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Wammo

Greg - mate we are staying on Northwest Island. I am a huge fishing nut but mostly based off Rocks in NSW. Thinking of taking up a tinny and a kayak. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Wammo

Northwest is only accesable from half tide up to half tide down so your fishing will be limited to around high tide Small metal lures should get you longtails and mack tune which you can use for bottom bait for the trout and sweetlip Should also be some mackeral around mainly shark mackeral

6-8kg spinning outfit s for the tuna and macks and we used to use 55lb handlines for the trout and such fish for them in close to the bombies with just enough weight(a small pea sinker or no sinker depending on tide run sliding onto around a 6/0 hook)if the fish arent there move out deeper and up your sinker weight and dont forget your light rod with the bass minnows I would even try some 4in bass minnows on heavier jigheads on the 6-8kg outfit Im not to sure how it fishes around there now as a lot of people camp on Northwest Dont know about the yak but the tinny will be good

Have fun you will enjoy it