Prawn Bait Rules

streve

Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone could clear the following for me.

I was informed today that it is illegal to fish in NSW with imported prawns.

Sounds like we were having our leg pulled but i wanted to make sure.

Sounds a bit strange that us humans can be fed any old garbage prawns

from around the globe but the fish must have the best on offer.

I have looked at the fisheries website but found nothing yet, so thought

i would try to tap into the wealth of knowledge that is fishraider.

cheers

Prawn industry and quarantine were worried about foreign disease getting loose in australia. Not sure if it ever became law or if better import inspections are now being done. Amazing how little of our imported fresh food it tested and certified and I think we are all being had. All I can ever see everytime I here the arguements is cane toads and that one serves us right- lets not allow it to happen again.

Edited by pelican

So you can't use those Taiwanese "fresh water prawns" you see at the markets for $15 a bag!!!

I agree though.. the packet praws at my local tackle shop are about 8 bucks for 250 grams. That is 32 bucks a kilo!!! This is more than the price of prawns at the fish markets on Christmas Eve!! :biggrin2:

It would make sense and it should be law.

Few years ago we had some problems with imported pilchards from the US been imported to feed the tuna in the tuna pens.

What ended up happening was a virus got into the wild and obliterated local pilchard stocks.

Hopefully they do the same with the prawns as having these imported prawns from Asia is a biohazzard waiting to happen if they were to be used as bait.

I think you will find it is illegal to sell imported prawns for bait. The fear is a disease called white spot it could devestate our crustation population.

When I had my shop I used to recieve letters from the DPI on selling imported prawns for bait.The fines were large.

I know the price difference is quite substantual but if this disease were to get into our waterways think of the long term damage ie oysters and QX.

Big Pete :1fishing1:

the packet praws at my local tackle shop are about 8 bucks for 250 grams. That is 32 bucks a kilo!!! This is more than the price of prawns at the fish markets on Christmas Eve!!

You will get a better quality bait by buying 150-200gms of fresh schoolies from your local fisho and it usually costs about the same as a bag of servo prawns.

Dave